Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tractorholic
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a wait of over two years, from purchase to delivery, I was able to drive up to the freight terminal yesterday and pick up the Bulldog trencher set up for the HT series Large Frames. (Yes, I guess I am way tooo patient, but I recognized that the seller had some extenuating circumstances on his end, and we did stay in touch routinely over that time.)

Now that I have it, I can start to corral the pieces I will need to have or make for it to be fully functional and for it to look correct. I have the Bolens 540 PTO, but I will need to come up with the correct double row sprocket to go on the output shaft of the PTO. Plus the double row roller chain. New sprockets for the trencher chain itself (badly worn and broken teeth). Fabricate the proper top cover over the gear box.

Then strip the paint and paint it the correct orange. For some reason I don't get, the PO painted it red just before he sold it to me. Then get decals made.

This one will go on an HT23, or on an HT20D. (I might need to find more HT Large Frames, so I don't have to take extremely heavy attachments off once they are installed.)

Attachments

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
It amazes me what Bolens offered. Who would have thought that a garden tractor could be a trencher, too?

Ben W.

Reactions: LPBolens

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Nice, maybe you could figure out a way to make it easier to take on and off. Some sort of park stand with a bit of adjustment on it to allow raising and lowering the trencher for install/removal on different HTs.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Very nice Doug !! I'm 100% sure that you will have it looking and working like new when you're done. One of the rarest LF attachments for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
Good to see you got her home Doug. :thumbs:

·
1,205 Posts
Nice find!

·
Tractorholic
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wanted to see how the Bolens 540 rpm PTO fitted into the trencher, and what kind of spacing for the chain drive would result. Here are some pics as I was putting it together. The first one shows the PTO unit as it would normally be used on the back of the tractor. To mount it to the trencher frame, the side mounting plates have to be removed, and the top guard has to be removed to allow for the drive chain to the trencher gearbox.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
Doug how heavy is this?

·
Tractorholic
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Doug how heavy is this?
It is a real beast! At 160 lbs. myself, I can stand on the mounting plates that attach to the tractor, and the unit doesn't even rock. When I had it shipped to me, I estimated for the freight forwarder that it weighed 475 lbs, but once it arrived and I saw it I think I would have to push that number up some.

·
Deceased
1,441 Posts
glad tosee you got it finally..they work great i trenched some underground eletricial lines for mu green house now i got to run a underground water pipesto the green house

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:8816
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:88168]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:88166]

9]

Reactions: LPBolens

·
Tractorholic
988 Posts
Sam, can you tell me how many teeth there are on the double sprocket on the PTO output shaft? And a close-up pic of the same if you can?

That is the only piece I don't have, other than having to fab the top cover out of sheet metal. I also will need to get new lower sprockets for the trencher chain. They are badly worn.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts