Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Let me apologize for bringing up another tire thread. I've searched and had no luck in finding what I need on here, I find everything but tires.

I have a Snapper 1855A in need of tires. The old/weather'd tires don't hold air long and are turf tires. I'm wanting to put tri-ribs on the front, and ag tires on the rear. It will be doing mostly plowing/garden work during the summer, snow blower duties in the winter. I will put chains on the rear for snow.

What size and source would y'all recommend with your experience? I want the rear tires as big as will fit on the rear and do a great job of plowing/disking and pullin a blade if I can find one. Has factory rims all around.

I realize it will be more expensive, but I prefer american made, or european. Anything really besides china crap.

I'm also thinking of getting https://heavyhitch.com/store/category-0-hitch/category-0-hitch-and-bracket-for-suitcase-weights/ along with https://heavyhitch.com/store/heavy-hitch-accessories/3-point-hitch/ since I'm having no luck finding 3-point accessories. Everything I find is sleeve hitch.

·
Tractorholic
626 Posts
I'd go 26x12x12 on the rear and 18x8.50x8 on the front, which I belive are the OEM sizes. Personally I prefer The Vredestien V61's on the front, I think they are a great tire, tri-ribs are over rated :). Carlise TruPower are great tires, very popular and are made in the USA. Firestone has some nice lug tires also but they are more expensive and I don't know if they are made in the US or not...

Check Northern Tool for 3pt hitch accessories, they have some selection, just search Category 0.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Firestone tubes are made in China, but not sure of the tires. Yes, the sizes mac posted above are OEM, and what you want to stick with. Larger on front will interfere with steering geometry, and I don't think you can go larger on the rear. And Vredestien V61's are better than tri-ribs in my opinion.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yup, best suggestions have been made already. Go to Miller Tire. http://www.millertire.com/

Fronts: http://www.millertire.com/products/lawn-garden-tires/18x8-50-8/copy-of-18x8-50-8-v61-hd-5-rib-6-ply/

Rears: http://www.millertire.com/products/lawn-garden-tires/26x12-00-12/26x12-00-12-firestone-flotation-23/

Getting them filled makes a HUGE difference. Also, if your wheels aren't so rusted that tubes are required, get the heavy duty valve stems from Miller. They are true solid metal bolted in stems like a big tractor. I just purchased 6 of the above front tires and 4 rears last week for my 1855s. With the 6 ply fronts, and heavy stems, I don't think I'll ever be replacing these again.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

Tire Wheel Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

--Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Guess I'll be the only one to disagree on 3-rib Firestone verses the v61's.

I have them both, the 3 ribs I have on my 1650 that is use for plowing snow, furrow plowing and lawn mowing. Best steer tire between the two, feels like power steering. Only one small negative I can find is on very packed snow they tend to slide a little.

The v61' I have on my 782 that's used only for grass mowing duty and pulling a spring tooth drag occasionally. Steering is much harder and they love to gather grass clippings and mud in the grooves and leave it all over the garage floor.

I know, a couple miner things, but for ''me" the choice is the 3 rib, One last thing to take into account is price difference. 16x6.50-8, 3 rib is going to run $70, the v61's are $48

Good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Guess I'll be the only one to disagree on 3-rib Firestone verses the v61's.

I have them both, the 3 ribs I have on my 1650 that is use for plowing snow, furrow plowing and lawn mowing. Best steer tire between the two, feels like power steering. Only one small negative I can find is on very packed snow they tend to slide a little.

The v61' I have on my 782 that's used only for grass mowing duty and pulling a spring tooth drag occasionally. Steering is much harder and they love to gather grass clippings and mud in the grooves and leave it all over the garage floor.

I know, a couple miner things, but for ''me" the choice is the 3 rib, One last thing to take into account is price difference. 16x6.50-8, 3 rib is going to run $70, the v61's are $48

Good luck in your choice.
Finding a quality 3 rib in a 18x8.50-8 might be hard. The 1855s take a little bigger tire than your machine. I don't think Miller Tire carries these.

Reactions: zippy1

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just bought a set of the v61's from miller tire Saturday at the show. they were 65 each
Just for the original poster's information, there are two versions of this tire, the 4 ply and the 6 ply...at $65 and $75 respectively. I opted for the 6 ply, as I'm frequently going over "stobs", branches, etc in the woods.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks y'all! I will order these in the next day or 2. First I want to install an electric fuel pump I picked up today to make sure my fuel starvation problem gets cured. If all goes well, these will be on order shortly.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Finding a quality 3 rib in a 18x8.50-8 might be hard. The 1855s take a little bigger tire than your machine. I don't think Miller Tire carries these.
Sorry for the confusion on my part.

I assumed 16x6.50-8. I see now inquiring on the 18x8.50-8's.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just ordered the tires, the V61 6-ply and floatation 23s. Can't wait to get them and installed, getting tired of flat tires every day.

Got the elec. fuel pump installed, starts/runs better but still falters every once in a while at 1/2 throttle up. Not as bad as it was. New lines, new filter, new pump. Can't be the fuel supply system causing the falter. O-well, have all summer to play with it before snow time. I also today got the gear box back togather/installed with a new gear. Blower works like a champ now.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The V61 fronts and Firestone tires arrived today. I'm stoked, they look bad arse, can't wait till I get them on. I will try to find some Rimguard, there are 2 large tractor dealers in town, maybe one of them carries it.

I was told by a Firestone dealer in town that these 23 degree floatation tires are no longer being made? I don't know if it's true or not, but if so, if anyone is thinking about these tires, I would get some whilst they last, if indeed they are getting discotinued.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will post some pics once I get them on. I don't have tire spoons, so they are sitting at the tire shop awaiting tire removal. I will then sand them down, prime/paint and have them put the tires back on the rims. I have Ivory White for the color, and red for painting the lug nuts. Will post when done, finding time to do it will be the hard part. The honey do list is longer than, well..... my short memory.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello all first post. And didnt want to create another tire thread. I will be post up my restoration thread
Soon enough. I need tires stat.
I've have actually been reading thru threads on this site for about a month now. I haven't heard any feedback
On the tires that are currently on eBay. "Lawn trac" sold from an outfit from Tennessee. "Atvmaster" is the eBay seller
Name. Here is a link,if it works.
http://bit.ly/1qM4uXP

One thing I seen the actual size seems really close. 25.8 tall and 12.3 wide for the rears.
Fronts,,,18.1 tall and 8.4 wide.

Any thoughts? Experience?

Thanx bryen

Sorry if I made any unallowable mistakes. I'm on a few car sites,,first GT site.

·
1,824 Posts
Welcome to GTTalk.

I have no experience with the tire or the seller but the tires look pretty interesting.

My only comment is that they're insanely expensive. You can get similar 4 ply Carlisle Tru-Powers in that size (26x12.00-12) for $106 each right now from the site I usually use. I'm not sure what shipping would be for you but they show an additional $15 per tire to ship here. That's still WAY less than the $190 per tire he's asking, for an unknown tire no less.

Reactions: FrozenInTime

·
Registered
254 Posts
Welcome to the site!!

I like the tread design. A couple things concern me though. They say "designed in USA", but not where they're made...probably meaning overseas. My recent experience with chinese tires has been that they dry crack VERY quickly, and the tread doesn't last long at all. They seem to be more nylon/plasticky than real rubber. I'd want to find out where these were made before spending that kind of money on them. I have had good success with some upper end Japanese tires.

--Eric

Reactions: FrozenInTime

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Working on the rims, went to the (AF) base auto hobby shop and their sandblaster is temporarily out of buisness, soooo, went to town and picked up a cheapo blaster from Sears ($59). I picked up the medium at TSC, black garnet sand. Not real cheap, but not as bad as the alum. stuff. I laid out a 12x12 tarp to catch the sand so I could re-use it. Good thing I thought to do that (think I saw that suggestion on here somewhere, thank-you). That thing goes through a LOT of sand.... LOL. It is a slow process, my 175 PSI compressor did not like it very much. Took bout 3.5 hours todo the 2 front rims, then had to clean up, was getting late in the day. Those got cleaned off good and primer'd up, will work on the rears when I get the time. Probably not until next week sometime, got a LOOOOOOONG honey do list.

I am cleaning sand outa places I did not realize I had... WOW. I sure am glad I wore a dust mask and goggles. It was bout 80 degrees outside so I thought I would wear shorts and t-shirt. Bout 5 seconds into it, I laid everything down and went inside and changed to long sleeves and jeans. I'm a slow learner, but I sure learned real quick this afternoon... Don't do that AGAIN.... LOL (OUCH) I've had 2 showers tonight, I swear I'm still rubbing sand outa pores on my face. Next time, I AM going to pick up a cabinet blaster.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts