Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 1250 when I pull the lift lever all the way back it just picks the front end of the tractor off of the ground (with the snow plow on). Where is this "float" position it talks about in the manual?

·
4,473 Posts
Shouldn't you push the lever forward to lower and back to lift. The valve should have 4 positions Float - lower - hold - lift in that order. The lever should detent in the float position.

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't find the detention position for float. It is labeled like it has one but I can't get it into that function. Does anyone have a 1250 that can offer more opinions on this? Is there an adjustment off or something?

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I moved the valve fully open and closed and I cannot seem to find a detent position. I would really appreciate if anyone ever took a valve on a 1250 apart and could provide some insight on this. I am trying to figure out if someone took something apart and did not reinstall something right or if an adjustment is off.

·
4,473 Posts
Can you feel the 4 positions or does the lever only seem to have 3 positions?

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Bolens valves, but I'm betting the "float" mechanism is crusted up & seeming like it isn't even there.

·
4,473 Posts
Well, first I believe if you pull back on the lever you should raise your implement. Then release the lever and your implement should hold in that position. Then if you move the lever forward your implement should lower and if you maintain that position it will start putting down pressure on your implement. If you push the lever a bit more forward the down pressure will be relieved and the implement will float. As Daniel stated perhaps there is some crud and you are not feeling the float detent but the valve should still do as described above.
Maybe I am missing something here and please let me know if that is the case.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
I had a return spring assembly on the end of a control valve come apart & it wouldn't allow the valve to go into the float position. It would just stop like it hit a brick wall, but all worked fine except for "float". Once I got all the parts back in place, the float worked perfectly.

·
4,473 Posts
DUD! I have been napping again
If you are pulling back to Raise reverse the hoses and all should be OK.
I bet there are just hooked up backwards. Once you get it correct just paint the male and female coupler on one hose for future identification.

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
Pull up to lift and push down to lower all the way down is float it should lock if it dont the lock could be worn out.

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
ducky said:
DUD! I have been napping again
If you are pulling back to Raise reverse the hoses and all should be OK.
I bet there are just hooked up backwards. Once you get it correct just paint the male and female coupler on one hose for future identification.
Did exactly that on my 318 Saturday when I mounted the snow blower for the first time. I bought it last year with the blower mounted and did not mark the hoses when I took it off last spring.

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so today I tried the lever again and still no float or detent position felt. I then looked at the part breakdown in the parts manual and decided to pull out the capscrew that holds in the detent pawl and spring. I then tried and move the lever and PRESTO......the detent position and float position were found!

I then sprayed some penetrating oil in the hole and worked it several times. It now has a nice distinct click and hold. I then replaced and tightenend the cap screw (after lubricating the internals) and now everything seems to work as it should.

Whew! I think I got out of this project pretty cheap :D

·
Tractorholic
8,358 Posts
Glad you found and fixed your problem

·
4,473 Posts
Write that one in the books. More knowledge for the younins'

1 - 16 of 16 Posts