Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1060 wouldn't start last night. I smelled fuel and assumed that I'd flooded her out. The oldest son and I pushed her in for the night. When I went out this morning, I expected to jump on and fire it up...but that didn't happen. I still smelled the gas though. So I started to disassemble the carburetor and discovered that the float is FULL of fuel! I looked at it very closely and couldn't see any bad spots in the solder or any visible holes??? So I looked even closer. What I found were very fine, almost microscopic cracks in the brass itself!! :confuse: I've never seen this before. Anyone else ever run into this? I tried to take some pics, but they were too fine and wouldn't show up. I know thats where it got in, 'cause that's where i was coming out.

·
Tractorholic
360 Posts
I've seen it a few times... one reason I use and advocate fuel shut off valves

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Thinking this over, I kinda put 2 & 2 together... I work for an appliance store, back around when this was made (mid-late 70's) they made a brass gas flex line for Ranges & Gas Dryers. A few years later they tried to recall them as they would develop tiny cracks. They only got back a few. We still find a few even today and they usually are leaking (just catch a wiff once in a while). The semi-official theory is that because of brasses properties, the vibrations from living in a house (walking past the stove, cooking on it, etc) will cause fatigue eventually and the gas (under pressure) would leak out of those cracks. If you have a brass colored flex line to your gas appliance, it should be replaced. All the new ones are either stainless or coated with a plastic like paint. For you guys on LP, I am not talking about malleable copper, just the brass accordion style.

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grumpy said:
Me too, what Dan said. What kind engine dose it have? If its a Kohler I have a float I can send you.
Thanks Grumpy, but it is a Briggs as MH81 said.
I think I got some pictures to come out. I was able to zoom in on them and see the cracks. They're high resolution so the files are big, but I'm gonna put them up.

DSCN1731.jpg

DSCN1730.jpg

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts