Garden Tractor Forums banner

For My Next "trick"

3K views 59 replies 21 participants last post by  Cat385B 
#1 ·
Actually project. I'm building a 50' long X 5' Wide X 5' high Covered firewood/tractor attachment storage area along the privacy fence. It will be "ground hog proof" because they seem to love to dig under and build their condos under my firewood piles.

I'm using 6 x 6's, 4 x 4's, 2 x 4's, wire mesh, plastic pallets, Unistrut, 4' x 10' SS sheet metal and plywood.

Here is a sneak peak photo, I lag bolted strut brackets to the fence post as a start, then added 50' of strut. Hope to get much more done today.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Ken.. Buddy... Pal... Do yourself a favour and put a break in the shelter between your wood storage and your tractor storage. The moisture from the wood drying will rust up your tractor.. Other wise carry on I'm interested to see this...Are you making the side thats away from the fence were you could open it to help in the drying process? Or are you hoping more for the kiln effect?

Reactions: larryd
#4 ·
Sounds like a good plan but what about the back side which I assume will be the wooden fence in the picture, won't they be able to dig under that.

Dick
I was thinking he needed at least 4 ft footers around the perimeter. I blame the groundhogs for being a major contributor in the fall of my barn years back. It's a constant battle to keep them from burrowing into the buildings at my place.

#5 ·
I was thinking he needed at least 4 ft footers around the perimeter. I blame the groundhogs for being a major contributor in the fall of my barn years back. It's a constant battle to keep them from burrowing into the buildings at my place.
I could loan ya my German Wirehaired pointer. He will sniff out and get any critter under ground. last year he caught 96 gophers next door.. Chased the badger outta the hay field also..

#6 ·
I have a 100' roll of 1/2" x 1/2" galvanized steel mesh wire. That will go on the ground before anything. And it will be attached to the fence with screws.

Gerald, ship that dog down. I'll treat him well and he or she will have a blast killing them critters.

#7 ·
Ken.. Buddy... Pal... Do yourself a favour and put a break in the shelter between your wood storage and your tractor storage. The moisture from the wood drying will rust up your tractor.. Other wise carry on I'm interested to see this...Are you making the side thats away from the fence were you could open it to help in the drying process? Or are you hoping more for the kiln effect?
The front & ends will be open most of the time, but I'll have a tarp that can roll up or down depending on the weather.

I jury rigged a similar rack over the past few years, but the SS sheets were just thrown on top, they were a PIA to get the wood out from. I'm doing this as a more permanent thing. The sun hits this area of my yard for a good part of the day. This year some of wood was actually too dry.

#8 ·
I have a 100' roll of 1/2" x 1/2" galvanized steel mesh wire. That will go on the ground before anything. And it will be attached to the fence with screws.

Gerald, ship that dog down. I'll treat him well and he or she will have a blast killing them critters.
Ship him?? He doesn't go anywhere with out me.. He listens to me out in the field. He likes other people but he reads my hand signals and listens to my whistle blows.. Sorry buddy..

#9 ·
The front & ends will be open most of the time, but I'll have a tarp that can roll up or down depending on the weather.

I jury rigged a similar rack over the past few years, but the SS sheets were just thrown on top, they were a PIA to get the wood out from. I'm doing this as a more permanent thing. The sun hits this area of my yard for a good part of the day. This year some of wood was actually too dry.
Sounds like a good set up.. one question.. what are you doing in here??? You could be working on it now.. I'm heading out to work on my ole GMC... Have a safe and productive day Ken...

Reactions: larryd
#11 ·
I have woodchuck troubles too. I found that a hose from a rich burning engine exhaust can be run into their hole. I'm not sure if it kills them or just drives them off but it works. If I didn't have neighbors I'd use a .22 rifle. Good Luck, Rick
:iagree:

I haven't done it , but yes, I've heard putting an exhaust hose down the hole will kill the little buggers.

#13 ·
Sprinkle some powdered lime all over under your wood pile as your building before you start piling up. We have ground hogs that dig under our barn and the occasional skunk, the lime will burn their little noses right off snd keeps them away....trust me I know :wallbanging: just make sure it isn't in any rained on areas so it stays powdery.

#15 ·
Cleaned up all the leaves and vines, scrapped it somewhat level with the HT-23 and snow blade. Then put down some of the mesh. And screwed it to the fence every 8" or so.

The last pic is a .22 hole in the screened in back porch. There were like 30 others. Till I replaced the screens. Most were confirmed Ground Hog kills. I used to shot from inside because they'd run if they heard the door open. I've been trapping them in a havaheart trap for the past few years. Then they go swimming in a 55 gallon drum of water. No worrying about shooting in the hood. And no blood splattered in the garage either.

Attachments

#18 ·
They do make a plastic worm that kills ground moles you put in the ground works for us.

#19 ·
Havahart - then drown. Some thing wrong with that LOL
:cowboy_shooter:
:D Yup, great minds think alike, that's what I thought of too... Until I realized of course he beat them to death with a tire iron before the watery grave. (Remember, he is from New Jersey!).:D

Ken, I'm just guessin' that there's no "15' set back ordinance" from a property line in your town?

#20 ·
Havahart - then drown. Some thing wrong with that LOL
:cowboy_shooter:
:D Yup, great minds think alike, that's what I thought of too... Until I realized of course he beat them to death with a tire iron before the watery grave. (Remember, he is from New Jersey!).:D

Ken, I'm just guessin' that there's no "15' set back ordinance" from a property line in your town?
15' ? Sure there is. It's actually 30 I believe. No issues with the wood rack. The shed in the pic was put there by me rite before I built the garage. I had to get a variance for that, which no one even checked the set backs or height during any inspections. Good thing too, I'm 4' higher then I'm supposed to be with the garage. The shed used to be just on stone and 6 x 6's. I poured a slab for it since I had to move it to build the garage. Why concrete ? Stinking ground hogs. That stopped them bassturds from digging under that. I have no heart for em, and I'd club them like baby seals if they didn't run so fast. : )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.