Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Here is another summer project! A 1965 Ducati Scrambler 250 that my uncle gave to me, my dad, and my little brother. The bike has been passed around many different people. They all tried to fix it, but no one could. The original owner used it as a road racer. I bet me and my old man could get her to run, we downloaded a manual, so thats good. The motor is complete, its stuck but the valves and clutch all look clean, so, there is hope! :) The gas tank is completely rotted away. It also came with a ton of parts too. I'll keep you updated on it! Ian.

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
Good luck with the project. I can't even recall when the last time I saw one. Looks like it is in pretty rough shape, good chance you'll end up pulling the motor and splitting the case. keep us posted on how the project goes.

·
Homelite Owner Extraordinaire
3,174 Posts
Got to ride one simular to that one back in 1967. Man was that a blast! I saw somewhere that they make aftermarket tanks for any motorcycle. Not sure if it was OCC or another place. Hope you can get it unstuck and find enough parts to get it running. Looking forward to the restore. Roger.

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
Do those singles have Desmodromic valve gear like the larger street bikes? I've never seen any small Ducati bikes like that up here.
I was trying to remember that myself Brian. I know it was on ducati bikes that I first heard of desmondric valve trains.
Wikipedia says the first ducati with Desmondric valve train was released and in production on 1969 Ducati.
When the gear heads gathered at the Henrys drive inn desmondric valves was quite the buzz word.

·
8,677 Posts
Ducati has always been different and in many case a step ahead of the rest of the motorcycle industry. They have had some very revolutionary ideas. But I would think with the manual and Internet you and your dad will be able to figure it out. It may take you out of your comfort zone from Hondas but you will be a much better Mechanic at the end of the restoration for doing so. Plus I think you will have a good appreciation for the Ducati.

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
The Ducati was a fairly reliable bike, being a Thumper there was not much to go wrong. But like every European bike of that era the electronics were a bit quirky. I have never checked but I bet if you Googled Ducati Owners Clubs or Cllassic Ducati I bet you could find collectors and Ducati Enthusiests that know evertything and more I have forgotten about them.
I had a 250 that I never got going, that had been a Drag Bike raced by the local AMA club. I was a member of that club, when i was riding my Ossa MAR Replica in trials competition.

·
Tractorholic
8,385 Posts
I traded something with a kid for a Ducati in HS , it was non running when I got and I never had it running either but I did learn that if you spray paint in your parents garage while it's raining and humied the paint takes FOREVER to dry lol ,

Reactions: IlovemyCub

·
8,677 Posts
it seems to me most bike had dodgie electrics of that era. All the British and European bikes were plagued with electrical problems and of course Harley had their own issues. The only ones that didn't were the Japanese bikes which is why they became popular.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts