Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
LGT
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started to build a 3 point hitch for my ford 165 diesel. I found I lot of the information on this site. I thought I would share were I'm at with it. I have a the rocker shaft made. My lgt 145 has this rocker shaft from the factory so I was able to measure and copy it. I'm going to make it as close as possible to factory so it the parts are inter-changeable between tractors.

·
Super Moderator
55,385 Posts
So I started to build a 3 point hitch for my ford 165 diesel. I found I lot of the information on this site. I thought I would share were I'm at with it. I have a the rocker shaft made. My lgt 145 has this rocker shaft from the factory so I was able to measure and copy it. I'm going to make it as close as possible to factory so it the parts are inter-changeable between tractors.
The engineer who designed that had to be on some good drugs!

·
LGT
389 Posts
Please keep us posted on the progress. Looking good so far. I've thought about making one for mine also.
here is an update. I got the lower arms done. Made them out of 3/8" x 2" mild steel and fitted 5/8" tie rod ends on the ends than I welded in place.

This is the brake that I used to bend the arms with my 20 ton press. This is the first time I used it and it worked very well.
Also started on the the lift links. They are made using 1/2" pipe and 3//4" bolts. One end just swivels thru a 7/8" nut, I ground the head of the 3/4" bolt to fits freely inside the pipe. Also drilled a hole in the pipe so a pin or spud wrench can be inserted to make adjustments.

This is the picture I use for the dimensions of the lower lift arms. Thank you KennyP

·
Super Moderator
55,385 Posts
I like the brake attachment on the press! I have something similar. Here a page from the parts list. Looks like the rear bolt attaches at the far side of the trailer hitch.

Font Parallel Rectangle Auto part Art

Attachments

Reactions: pryan05

·
LGT
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Super Moderator
55,385 Posts
Glad you have it done and working! After looking at that rock shaft, I gave up trying to build one!

·
LGT
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you have it done and working! After looking at that rock shaft, I gave up trying to build one!
The trick to making it is sandwiching all the plates together tack welding it than drilling all the holes at once. That way they are all lined up. And lots of measuring. It helped that my 145 had the factory rocker shaft on it.

·
Tractorholic
3,414 Posts
Looks good Ryan. The factory set up sucks hard core, but looks good doing so.... I put countless hours into mine getting it refined to what I think works the best and is the easiest to use.
Also 3/8"x2" is not tough enough and you will bend them with a tiller on the rear.Been there ...
1/2"x2" 1045 or 1050 works perfectly and make them straight with out any bends. Rocker shaft arms on the outside of side plates instead of the inside so the lift links are straighter. It aint easy but when done it works AWSOME!!.

·
LGT
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks good Ryan. The factory set up sucks hard core, but looks good doing so.... I put countless hours into mine getting it refined to what I think works the best and is the easiest to use.
Also 3/8"x2" is not tough enough and you will bend them with a tiller on the rear.Been there ...
1/2"x2" 1045 or 1050 works perfectly and make them straight with out any bends. Rocker shaft arms on the outside of side plates instead of the inside so the lift links are straighter. It aint easy but when done it works AWSOME!!.
Yes... I got the inspiration to build this from your thread on your hitch. The reason I went to the factory setup is so that it is interchangeable between tractors.

·
Tractorholic
3,414 Posts
I used turn buckles on both rhe old designed arms and the new ones. Old arm design used them on the outside of the arms(more difficult to ajust) new ones were on the inside and easier to ajust. Also they pulled the arms into the attachment not against the pin.

·
LGT
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I started building thicker lift arm for this three point, as recommended by Keith. I used 1/2"x 2" mild steel flat stock and bent it used my 20 ton shop press. The press was pretty much at its limit. A couple of holes to drill and some paint left to do.

Wood Gas Fixture Bumper Machine
Wood Natural material Balance Composite material Metal

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
55,385 Posts
Looking good Ryan!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts