Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone experienced with these electrical systems can chime in and educate me a bit.

I've been doing some troubleshooting on my LGT to figure out why it will not crank. The starter/solenoid have been bench tested to determine they work properly. The safety relay energizes when the ignition is turned on, but the starter relay does not. I've replaced the relay but no change. Voltage from the switch gets to the relay coil lead, but the other side does not read continuity to ground.

I've hopefully attached the wiring schematic to this post. If not, someone please point out my error. What I don't understand is what the device is below the starter relay in this schematic as the Y/B wire should be connected to ground but apparently does not.

Anyone know what this device is and if it actually opens / closes the ground circuit for the relay?

Thanks a bunch.

Steve

Attachments

·
old member
415 Posts
The schematic symbol is a diode. If you check it with an ohm meter, it will show continuity 1 direction but not the other.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments. I have metered the wire from the starter relay to the diode, and it reads open either way I connect the meter. So after tracing some wires to the various interlocks, I finally found the diodes.
211145E9-E209-4013-9EC1-FF415F99A800.jpeg 4E737205-EB16-41C2-A73F-4B410F38CD9B.jpeg

Do you see what’s inserted in the connector?? Yes a jumper shorting the Y/B wire from the starter relay to the Black wire at the diode. I bought this LGT in the mid 90’s so this must have been done prior to that. I’ve never had it to a shop, and never had cranking problems until lately.

So I tried to work the jumper but it never energized the solenoid. Next step - replace the jumper, or splice the wires and eliminate the diode, or hunt for a new diode. Any further advice is welcome.

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts