Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier about my CV16s2 running poorly. I was certain that one of the ignition coils was bad and I received a new one today and put it on and now it runs fine. I did notice something though that I don't think is right. I installed the new coil the same way the old one was but I noticed that the coils are rotated 180 degrees. In other word the kill wire terminal is on top on one cylinder and on the bottom of the other. I am not sure why they would be installed differently and also not sure if it matters. I am trying to find a picture of the engine with the shroud off to see if the coils should be mounted the same direction and which direction is correct. It does run as is so maybe it doesn't matter.

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,767 Posts
The new Kohler ignition coils are reversible. Meaning that you can flip them over and they will still have spark. But it will change the timing. If it runs well leave it alone.

They made new coils for engines that require slightly more spark advance that instead of using a SAM (Spark Advance Module) or (DSAI) Digital Spark Advanced Ignition. On an engine that had DSAI you just flip the Left coil over. No need to replace the flywheel. On an engine that has a SAM you need to replace the flywheel (magnet is reverse polatity) and both coils and flip the 1 coil upside down to get it to run correctly depending on which module and flywheel is on the engine.

If you put 1 upside down on an engine that never had SAM or DSAI it will missfire and pop and run poorly on 1 cylinder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine does not have a SAM or DSAI. It is stock the way it was made in 1996. The date code on the fuel tank is 1996. I guess it could be a little newer than that. It seems to run fine the way it is. How do I know which direction is correct? I have the service manual but I can’t find any photos of the twin with the shroud off. The coil replacement is covered for the single cylinder. I have found so many things wrong with this mower that I can totally believe that someone removed the coils, probably to get to the stator that still wasn’t working, and put them back on wrong. But it does run ok. I found some new old stock coils that are the stock coils so I still do not have a SAM or DSAI. I didn’t want to add variables to the debug effort.

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,767 Posts
The engine does not have a SAM or DSAI. It is stock the way it was made in 1996. The date code on the fuel tank is 1996. I guess it could be a little newer than that. It seems to run fine the way it is. How do I know which direction is correct? I have the service manual but I can’t find any photos of the twin with the shroud off. The coil replacement is covered for the single cylinder. I have found so many things wrong with this mower that I can totally believe that someone removed the coils, probably to get to the stator that still wasn’t working, and put them back on wrong. But it does run ok. I found some new old stock coils that are the stock coils so I still do not have a SAM or DSAI. I didn’t want to add variables to the debug effort.
Kohler discontinued the SAM and DSAI because of the high production costs and price of over $340 for the module and $140 each for the special coils and horrible reliability but they made the new coils reversible so that they could be used on multiple engines including the engines that had the old SAM or DSAI setup.

As far as the charging system goes the Magnets that are epoxied fast to the under side of the flywheel are known for coming loose . It's a fairly common issue on older Kohler V-Twin engines. Ive used JB Weld on them many times and never had them come loose again. Large paper clips to hold them in place untill the JB Weld sets up and Pencils or similarly sized chunks of wood dowel rods to keep them spaced apart. Magnet orentation should be N-S-N-S-N-S for all 6 magnets. Magnet Polarity can be checked with a small Compass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts