Garden Tractor Forums banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
I'm using 3-inch steel channel to make the rear frame extensions.
The surface of the mounting brackets on the model-T rear axle is a little higher than the top surface of the back of the frame so I cut a notch out of the channel so the top part of it goes up over the back of the frame.
Hand tool Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Tool

The holes for the bolts for the mounting brackets are drilled and tapped into the channel.
Wood Gas Machine Metal Machine tool

Threaded tabs are added to the underside of the channel so there is twice the thickness for the threads.
Wood Fixture Line Bumper Gas

I'm marking a strip of 1/4x1/2 inch steel to fit into the gap on the inside of the channel that goes up over the frame.
Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

This gets welded on the inside across the front end and down the side.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bumper

Here is the finished frame extension for the right side.
Purple Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive exhaust

Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Auto part Machine

Then I did the same thing for the other side.
There will be a frame piece going across the back but that won't be added until I'm ready to figure out how the rear PTO pulley assembly will be mounted.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive wheel system

There will be a support bar going from the back of the frame extension down to the hub mount but I haven't decided if I want to make it out of angle iron or round tube.
Hand Automotive tire Bumper Wood Finger

This gives you an idea of how it will look with the chain guard on.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I started out referring to this tractor as a model-T tractor conversion because of the model-T frame and rear axle on it.
With the model-A engine being the most recognizable part on it, I think I need to start calling it a model-A tractor conversion.

Keeping in mind what it originally looked like .....
Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Agricultural machinery

Even though I've changed the front and rear wheels and moved the rear axle so it is behind the rear cross frame, I think people will still be able to easily tell that it is the same tractor as in the first photo.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

The front axle is only changed a little so they shouldn't have any trouble recognizing it as the same front axle.
Plant Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Originally, I had intended to scrap the hood and the front hood support because they are just plane ugly. My intention was to use a model-T radiator and a model-T hood to make the tractor look better.

I got to thinking more about that and realized that the model-T radiator and hood would change the looks of the tractor so much that most people would probably not believe it is the same tractor as in the first photo.
In order to keep the overall looks of the original tractor, I'm going to have to keep that ugly hood and front support ( yuck ).

To start with, I now need a different radiator. I have a few old radiators and I found one that will be perfect.
It is an old Jeep radiator.
Wood Natural material Gas Bumper Concrete

I took my powered wire brush to it to clean off what rust that I could, then I sprayed it down with the rust inhibitor.
Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Automotive tire Gas

The front hood support bracket is actually the U-shape radiator mounting bracket off and old car that is mounted upside down on the tractor.
Wood Gas Wood stain Hardwood Font

As you can see, the Jeep radiator fits nicely inside the bracket.
Cooking Gas Wood Cookware and bakeware Outdoor furniture

After the rust inhibitor has dried on the radiator, it is painted.
Wood Gas Automotive exterior Grille Composite material

Grille Automotive tire Tread Audio equipment Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
55,503 Posts
Myself, I could care less what the final product looked like, as long as you are happy with it.

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Myself, I could care less what the final product looked like, as long as you are happy with it.
That's just the thing. I won't be happy with it if people think I'm trying to pass the restored tractor off as the one in the old photo when it's obvious that the shape of it doesn't look anything like the one in the photo.
I have always been very careful with the spectators and not to try to pass anything off for something it isn't.

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
That A-frame hoist that I built really comes in handy as a third hand for helping me hold things.
I'm using it here to hold the radiator so I can make the measurements for the mounting bracket.
Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Toolroom Technology

Checking to make sure the mounting bracket is level.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

The piece I'm using for the mounting bracket is part of the original frame. The two ends were bolted to the rear cross frame and it extended out behind the seat.
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Agricultural machinery Grass

Two holes are drilled into it for mounting the radiator. The radiator is fastened to the bracket with springs on the studs to allow for vibration. The nuts will get cotter pins in them so they don't come loose.
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Gas

I'm checking again to make sure that the radiator is level before I weld the mounting bracket to the frame.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Audio equipment

The mounting bracket is welded to the frame.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Bicycle tire

And the radiator is fastened in place.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Gas Machine

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I'm starting to fit the front support bracket for the hood and as you can see, the radiator cap isn't going to be able to stay where it is.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Fender

So off it comes. ...
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

and a piece of sheet brass is soldered in place to seal up the hole.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive tail & brake light

The support bracket has been sand blasted and treated with the rust inhibitor. Then the top inside corners are trimmed out to fit around the radiator.
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Composite material Gas

The front hood support bracket is fastened in place.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

You can see here how the cut out areas fit around the top corners of the radiator.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Machine tool Gas Engineering

The lower ends of the hood support bracket are bolted to the lower radiator mount with two bolts on the side and one on the back.
This makes the bracket very firm.
Automotive tire Wood Line Bumper Automotive wheel system

The upper mount on the radiator is fastened to the back of the support bracket with a piece of rubber hose in between the bracket and the head of the bolt to allow the radiator to flex.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

I have to say that this came out looking better than I thought it would.

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
The gas tank is hanging from the hoist and being lined up for making the mounting brackets.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

With the engine sitting a little off center to the right, the tank needs to sit off center also to line up correctly with the radiator.
I'm using 1-1/4 inch angle iron to make the mounting bracket and it lines up nicely for the angle iron to just bolt onto the outside of the frame on this side.
Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Cylinder Wheel

Motor vehicle Green Wood Automotive tire Gas

The mounting bracket on the other side is has to sit on top of the frame.
This has a 3/8 inch thick tab welded to it and then the tab is bolted to the outside of the frame.
Gas Wood Machine Nut Auto part

The gas tank is now mounted in place.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood

The hood needs to be 32 inches long.
I have part of the hood that came with the gas tank that is 21 inch long and I have the original hood off the tractor that is 28 inch long.

I don't have a piece of sheet steel big enough to form a complete hood so I'm going to have to make it out of these two pieces.
Wood Bumper Floor Asphalt Rectangle

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Starting on the hood. First thing is to set a piece of wood in between the gas tank and the radiator to support the metal while I fitting it in place.
The wood will be removed once the hood is finished.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Wood Automotive exterior

The back piece is bolted onto the tank.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive lighting

Unfortunately, I don't have a piece of sheet metal that is large enough to form the front part of the hood out of.
So I cut a 12 inch wide strip off the metal from the original hood. After sand blasting it, I found some spots that are rusted thru so that will have to be fixed.
Food Natural material Cuisine Ingredient Dish

Forming the tight curve in the metal to match the curve on the back piece of the hood. ( a little glare from the sun shining in )
Wood Gas Glass Event Transparency

Checking the fit of the curve.
Home appliance Motor vehicle Building Wood Automotive tire

I'm using a set of step dies on the bead roller to form a stepped down lip along the back edge.
Bumper Wood Gas Machine tool Machine

Here is the formed edge.
Brown Natural material Wood Rectangle Composite material

Then holes are punched into it for welding thru.
Wood Gas Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bumper

The stepped down lip fits underneath the the edge of the back part of the hood. This makes the surface of the two pieces flush to each other.
Hood Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Tread

The front of the hood is formed around the larger curve of the radiator support. I'm thinking of forming a curved side panel at the front of the hood that would blend with the curve side panel on the gas tank.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
Using the plastic strip as a guide for drawing a straight line on the inside of the curved hood.
Hood Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Composite material

The edge is trimmed off at that line then it is run thru another roller that forms a half radius along the edge.
Flooring Gas Tints and shades Wood Art

Here is the finished edge with the half round formed into it.
Natural material Wood Bumper Fender Automotive exterior

The front piece is set back in place and tack welded to the back piece of the hood.
I've drawn a line on the side where it will be trimmed off later.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Bumper Shelf

The two pieces are finish welded on the inside.
Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

Forming the front panel and test fitting it.
This piece has the other half of the rounded edge formed into it where it fits up to the hood.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Once I'm satisfied with the fit, I turn it upside down and roll a bead into the center panel.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Hood Automotive exterior

Here is the finished bead pattern.

Wood Composite material Rectangle Metal Tints and shades

This is then tack welded to the front of the hood.
Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread

It is finish welded on the inside and here is how it looks so far with the welds ground down and primed.
Plant Wheel Outdoor furniture Comfort Grass

·
Super Moderator
55,503 Posts
Lookin' rel good, Ray. That's how I added 4" to the hood on Alice.

Reactions: fredh and jdcrawler

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Working on shaping the sides of the front part of the hood.
Bookcase Bumper Fluid Gas Shelf

Two pieces of steel bar are clamped to either side and the lip is bent over to match the lip on the back part of the hood.
Table Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Chair

Then I formed two pieces for the lip on the curved area.
Wood Jewellery Pattern Fashion accessory Horseshoe

These are welded in place and the area is primed.
Brown Wood Bumper Tints and shades Gas

Here is how it looks back on the tractor.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Bumper Wheel

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Originally, I had intended to use an elbow fitting and solder the radiator fill neck cup onto the back of the upper tank.
However, there isn't very much flat area on the back of the tank to solder the elbow to so that makes it much harder to get a good seal with the solder.
Also, I would be working really close to two other soldered joints. The top of the radiator core and the soldered seam along the top of the fan shroud.
Helmet Automotive lighting Bumper Finger Hood

Here are the parts that I have to work with for fitting a radiator fill neck onto this radiator.
There are two 1-1/2 inch, 45 degree fittings. A 2 inch, 45 fitting and a 1-3/8, ' T ' fitting.

The radiator cap that I'm going to use does not have the rubber seal on it.
The model-A did not have a pressurized cooling system and I'm not sure if the water pump seals would hold pressure.
I'm figuring that the metal to metal fit on the radiator cap will hold very little, if any pressure at all.
Fluid Automotive exhaust Auto part Gas Cylinder

The water outlet fitting on the cylinder head is 2 inch OD and the fitting in the top of the radiator is only 1-1/2 inch OD so I'm going to have to make an adapter to go between these to fittings.
If I have to make an adapter anyway, why not put the ' T ' fitting in it for the fill neck ?
Hood Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Revolver Motor vehicle

Lining up the pieces. One end is cut off the 2 inch fitting that will fit on top of the cylinder head.
This end will have to be heated up and hammered down to fit around the ' T ' fitting.
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Automotive exhaust

I made up a sleeve to fit inside the 1-1/2 inch fitting so the ' T ' fitting can then fit into it.
These two fittings are soldered together.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fender Wood Gas

Then the top end of the 2 inch fitting is re-shaped to fit the ' T ' fitting and these two are then brazed together.
Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Bicycle frame Motor vehicle

Furniture Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper

Here is the finished upper radiator hose and water fill fitting. The radiator cap will set just below the surface of the hood and be accessible thru a hole in the hood.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle part

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Cutting the hole in the hood for access to the radiator fill.
Wood Gas Tool Auto part Machine

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Material property Gas

I hadn't planned on having a hole in this location when I welded in the center support on the inside of the hood and obviously I've had to remove part of that.
The metal on the front part of the hood is thinner than what the back part is so I have welded a second layer of metal with ribs rolled into it to the inside of the front part.
This makes the hood stiffer without actually needing that center support.
Hood Wood Table Automotive exterior Gas

Here it is mounted on the tractor.
Motor vehicle Home appliance Wood Automotive exterior Fender

Hood Motor vehicle Gas Composite material Bumper

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
The steering is next. As you can see here, the steering box is located high off the frame and it is mounted in the center of the tractor with a long shaft going out to the steering arm.
Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Agricultural machinery

I'm going to have the steering mounted over on the left side and the steering arm will then be closer to the steering box.
I've cut the steering arm shaft in two and you can see here that this arm is the same length as the steering arm on the front of the tractor.
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part

The steering wheel will not turn at all so I'm taking apart the whole assembly. The outer housing is removed from the steering shaft.
Wood Floor Gas Hardwood Machine

The steering shaft is removed and you can see what a mess everything is.
Sculpture Gas Wood Auto part Art

It took a brass punch and a 5 pound sledge to finally get the steering column shaft out of the housing.
Gas Machine Engineering Wood Nut

Now to get the steering wheel off. I've fit the press clamp around the bottom of the wheel.
Wood Composite material Gas Concrete Building material

The outer ring had to be cut off so this could fit into the press to remove the steering wheel from the column shaft.
Wood Engineering Bicycle part Gear Auto part

The column is disassembled.
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Gas Bumper

It looks lie the inner bearing races are machined onto the ends of the worm gear.
Art paint Azure Paint Automotive tire Grey

These are the parts for the two bearings in the gearbox and I'm going to have to clean them up and reuse them.
Automotive tire Wood Road surface Font Floor

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
The steering column housing is in bad shape. I found a piece of pipe with the same inside diameter to replace it. The pipe is much thicker so that will make the steering column even stronger.
Wood Cylinder Natural material Composite material Auto part

The bearings cleaned up fairly good. They are re-assembled onto the ends of the worm gear on the steering column shaft.
Natural material Twig Plant Nail Fashion accessory

The steering column shaft is then assembled into the steering box.
Jaw Wood Gas Artifact Auto part

Then the steering output shaft is bolted in place on the box. This shaft is still the length that I had cut it off at. Once I get the steering arm mounted, then the shaft can be trimmed down.
Wood Tool Floor Gas Machine tool

I'm going to use an old Ford model-T steering wheel on this. The wheel has been welded on in the center so no one is going to want it to put on a car.
With the weld repair, this is exactly the type of used steering wheel that would have been used on a tractor like this. It will be perfect.
However, the hole in the model-T wheel is a straight 3/4 inch diameter hole and the steering shaft takes a wheel with a tapered hole. The model-T wheel just slides down onto the steering shaft.
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Wood Alloy wheel

I'm going to have to take the center hub out of the original steering wheel and fit it into the model-T wheel.
Wood Natural material Tool Metal Plant

Here is the hub out of the original wheel.
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Circle Asphalt

I'm using a counterbore tool with a 3/4 pilot to bore out the center of the steering wheel.
Plant Line Automotive tire Cross Terrestrial plant

The original hub is pressed into the hole in the model -T wheel. Three 1/4-20 holes are drilled and tapped into the model -T wheel. A piece of threaded rod is screwed into a hole until it is flush with the back of the wheel. This is then cut off flush with the front face. The same thing is done with the other two threaded holes in the hub.
Wood Artisan Tool Automotive tire Gas

These holes are brazed over on the front and the other three holes are filled with braze. The braze is ground down smooth with the front flange. It is painted and re-assembled onto the steering wheel ring.
Bicycle part Rim Line Wood Material property

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
The steering wheel is hanging from the hoist and the steering box is resting on wood blocks for positioning it in place.
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Forming the pieces for the steering box mount and tack welding them together.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Fender

The mount is all welded up and everything is bolted back in place.
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas

This is the original steering column support bracket. It is made out of pieces of a model-T running board bracket that are welded together.
I'm going to modify it a little and re-use it to support the steering column.
Composite material Bumper Metal Auto part Automotive exterior

The " U-shape " bottom bracket that the column fits into is actually the upper clamp for the front motor mount off a model-T
They drilled a hole in the center and welded a bolt onto it for attaching it to the support bracket.
Hand tool Wood Stonemason's hammer Artifact Thumb

Making the upper clamp to go on the steering column by heating a piece of strap steel and forming it around a pipe.
Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Wood Tool Bicycle part

Here is the finished clamp.
Wood Steel casing pipe Cylinder Gas Engineering

The steering column support is finish and mounted in place.
Water Blue Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Motor vehicle Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle Fender

61 - 80 of 84 Posts