Garden Tractor Forums banner
81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
With the steering box mounted in place, I can now figure out just how the steering arm will fit.
Here I'm turning down the area of the pinion shaft for the arm to fit onto it.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Machine tool Auto part

The excess part of the shaft is cut off and the arm it mounted onto it.
Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Hardwood

The drag link need to be extended about 7 inches. I've cut off the one end and have turned down a piece of 5/8 threaded rod to fit into it.
Wood Gas Building material Metal Hardwood

The threaded rod is brazed and I'm going to drill and tap one end of the piece of 7/8 diameter steel rod to screw onto it.
Cylinder Office supplies Gas Wood Auto part

the other end of the 7/8 steel rod is drilled out to fit over the drag link. This is welded onto it and then it is primed.
NOTE .. the curve in the drag link.
Outdoor bench Street furniture Outdoor furniture Musical instrument Wood

The drag link is mounted in place to complete the steering.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

This is why there is a curve in the drag link. It allows the wheels to be turned to the right a little more.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

If I had built this tractor myself, I certainly wouldn't have used this style of steering.
I would have had a pitman arm extending straight out about 6 inches from the front of the tractor.
Then I would have mounted a bell-crank with 6 inch arms on the front corner of the frame with one arm pointing forward and the other arm pointing out to the side.
The drag link from the steering box would have attached to the arm on the bell-crank sticking out to the side.
Another drag link would go from the forward arm on the bell-crank to the steering arm in the center.
This would allow the front wheels to be able to turn even farther then they are able to now without having to have a bend in the drag link.

However, the tractor was built with these extra long pitman arms on the front and on the steering box with just the one drag link. It is noticeably a part of the original design so I want to keep it if I can.

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
The mount for the pivot shaft for the brake and clutch pedals is bolted to the underside of the frame.
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Machine tool

I'm using model-A pedals and they had to be straightened out to fit the tractor.
The stock model-A pedals are on the left and the modified pedals are on the right.
Wood Hand tool Flooring Gas Tool

Here's how the look on the tractor.
Hood Automotive tire Fender Paint Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Wood Fender Gas Automotive lighting

On a side note. ........
Remember the Simplex Servi-Cycle that I built to put up for sale ?
Here it is all packed up and ready to be shipped out to Seattle Washington tomorrow.
Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Road surface Gas

Packing materials Wood Gas Automotive exterior Rectangle

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I have been hunting for a buggy seat for the tractor about two months now.
Any that I could afford their asking price have been so far away that the shipping cost was outrages.
The ones that were close enough for me to go pick up have all been priced too high to start with.

This one just showed up on ebay today with the asking price that I can afford and it is located only about 60 miles from where my daughter lives in Ohio.
She just bought it for me and will bring it with her the next time she comes down for a visit.
Furniture Couch Table Comfort Wood

Furniture Comfort Wood Outdoor furniture Flooring

Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Rectangle Composite material

·
tinkerer
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I pressed in new bushings in both pedals.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

This is the outside lever for the cross shaft on the clutch linkage.
Wood Plumbing fixture Household hardware Plumbing Surveillance camera

It fits into the pivot bracket that is mounted thru the frame.
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Gas

A short linkage rod connects it to the clutch pedal.
Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Hardwood

I did not have a piece of round stock large enough for what I need to make the hub for the lever on the inside of the cross shaft. So I turned down two pieces of pipe so they fit inside each other. Then I fit them over a piece of 1 inch bar stock.
I drilled a hole down thru the pieces and pressed a pin into it with the outside of the pin braised on both ends.
The center is drilled out and reamed to fit onto the cross shaft.
Machine tool Metalworking Milling Gas Auto part

The lever is pressed onto the hub and welded in place.
Tool Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire

this is positioned on the crass shaft and a spot of weld holds everything together. Then I drilled and tapped a 5/16-18 threaded hole so half of it is on the crass shaft and the other half is on the hub.
With a set screw threaded into the hole, it is just like a key to keep the hub from rotating around the cross shaft and the threads keep it from sliding along the shaft.
Gas Nut Auto part Wood Metal

The cross shaft is mounted back in place and a square head set screw is tightened down into the 5/16 threaded hole.
Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Bicycle part

The linkage arm is then made up to go from the inside lever up to the clutch throw-out arm.
This is the position of the pedal with the clutch engaged.
Green Wood Gas Metal Engineering

And with the clutch arm pulled all the way back as far as it will go.
The clutch pedal will only have to move about two thirds of this distance for the clutch to work.
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Gas Vehicle

81 - 84 of 84 Posts