Garden Tractor Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
tinkerer
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The wheels studs arrived so I'm now drilling the counterbore in the holes for them to fit into.
Gas Machine Wood Auto part Composite material

The counterbores are 1-inch deep. This leaves 1-inch of metal for the studs to be pressed into and 1-inch of thread sticking out for the lug nuts to be threaded on to hold the wheel on.
Wood Font Gas Bumper Audio equipment

The studs are pressed into the holes.
Wheel Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system

Wood Gas Machine Auto part Circle

The wheel studs in the hubs are only about an inch long so I'm using these special lug nuts for the old style mag wheels to fasten the adapters onto the hubs. This will leave 7/8-inch thick material for the lug nuts to grip to.
Tape measure Wood Bumper Material property Vehicle door

The adapter is bolted onto the hub.
Wheel Tartan Automotive tire Gear Crankset

And now the 16 inch tractor wheel can be bolted onto it.
I'm pretty sure that these hubs are off an early 1930's Chevrolet. The threads for the hub caps to screw onto are 2-3/8 outside diameter with 16 threads per inch. I'm trying to find a pair of old Chevy screw on caps that someone doesn't think they are made of gold and want three arms and a leg for them.
Wheel Automotive tire Tartan Motor vehicle Wood

·
tinkerer
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Can anyone tell me what these axle spindles are off of ?
I think the hubs are the centers cut out of larger cast wheels. They have a dust cover that screws into them.
They had little 8-inch wheels bolted onto them but it's obvious that those were not the correct wheels.
The front bearing race threads onto the axle and there is a thick washer with a 3/8 bolt that screws into the end of the axle to tighten down on the bearing race.
Idiophone Wood Musical instrument Gas Auto part

It has numbers cast into them and both orange and green paint on them.
Handwriting Gas Electric blue Bumper Font

This hub is off a 1965 Mustang. I have separated the hub from the backing plate and the brake drum.
One way or another, these Mustang hubs are going on these axle spindles so I can put larger front wheels on them.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Gas

·
tinkerer
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

·
Registered
60' Wheel Horse,66' Wheel Horse, 70' Wheel Horse, 71' Wheel Horse, 71' Wizard
421 Posts
Thank you.
That is exactly what my axles look like.
The cast hubs on my axles are different from a Allis-B tractor but I think you're on the right track.
I found a picture showing a Ford N tractor with the front wheel that has hubs similar to yours , not sure if they are but they are close
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
tinkerer
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I found a picture showing a Ford N tractor with the front wheel that has hubs similar to yours , not sure if they are but they are close View attachment 412540
The dust cap is different but the cast hub sure looks like it could be the same.

Reactions: fredh and Vrdaddy

·
tinkerer
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Checking the fit of the Mustang rear bearing on the tractor axle. The bearing is a little larger so just making up a sleeve will take care of fitting it onto the axle.
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle fork Bicycle frame

The Mustang hubs are put on the lathe to bore the hole for the tractor bearing race larger.
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Nut Machine

It is machined out to a light press fit on the bearing race.
Wood Motor vehicle Gas Machine tool Auto part

Naturally, the Mustang press in dust cap is no longer going to fit so I decided that I would like to use the screw on caps off the old tractor hubs.
I chuck them up on the lathe and cut them off while the hubs are turning.
Automotive tire Dumbbell Machine tool Wood Gas

Then I face off the end and bore it out just enough so the bearing race will easily slide past it.
Gas Machine tool Machine Wood Auto part

The end is brazed onto the end of the Mustang hub.
Purple Hat Drinkware Art Serveware

Then the outside is turned down a little.
Machine tool Gas Engineering Auto part Cylinder

I cut two pieces of aluminized exhaust pipe to fit over the hubs.
Machine tool Gas Metalworking Engineering Toolroom

These are press fit onto the hubs.
Idiophone Wood Musical instrument Bell Gas

Here are the finished hubs with the dust cap screwed into one of them.
Wood Gas Auto part Composite material Metal

·
tinkerer
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The center of a piece of brass is bored out so it fits over the axle spindle.
Automotive tire Ball-peen hammer Wood Gas Machine

The outside of that brass piece is then turned down to form the adapter sleeve for the rear bearing race to fit onto.
Machine tool Gas Automotive wheel system Engineering Machine

The sleeve is a light press fit into the bearing race.
Machine tool Cylinder Gas Wood Milling

Now the rear bearing fits onto the axle spindle.
Automotive tire Tire Wood Gas Bicycle part

The Mustang hub can now be installed.
I discovered that the end of the spindle has cotter-pin holes drilled thru it so I found a couple of castle nuts that fit and I'm going to use cotter-pins to lock the spindle nuts in place.
Automotive tire Gas Wood Nut Auto part

The dust cap is screwed on and the spindle assembly is set into the end of the axle.
Wood Gas Hardwood Flooring Machine

The 1965 Mustang hubs have 4-lug bolts and I have already picked up a pair of adapters so I can use regular 12 inch, 5-lug tractor wheels on these hubs.
Automotive tire Gas Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
tinkerer
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The frame is off the stands and turned right side up.
Wheel Wood Tire Flooring Hardwood

The front axle spindles are just metal to metal contact to support the weight of the tractor as they rotate in the ends of the axle housing.
I got a pair of thrust bearings that I'm going to use on the front spindles.
Font Material property Rectangle Circle Transparency

I need something to fit over the outside of the thrust bearings to help keep the dirt out of them.
For that, I'm going to use the screw tops off the spouts from gas cans that I have changed the spouts on to convert then from non-vented to vented cans.
Here I'm boring the top out to fit over the end of the axle housing.
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Bumper Engineering

These are a tight fit onto the axle housing and here you can see how the thrust bearing is exposed by itself.
Plumbing Gas Plumbing fitting Auto part Machine

The gas cap dust shield is pushed down over the thrust bearing to protect it from the dirt.
Gas Auto part Machine Nut Engineering

As you can see here, the dust shield grips the axle housing and does not rotate with the axle spindle.
Wood Plumbing Gas Machine Engineering

The thrust bearing makes the axle spindle set a little lower from the axle housing so I have to cut that much off the underside of the upper steering arms.
Wood Gas Machine Metal Machine tool

These steering arms have a 1/2-13 threaded hole in the back side of them. A regular 1/2 inch bolt screwed into the hole and tightened down on a dimple in the side of the shaft of the axle spindle to lock the steering arm in place.
I could see where these steering arms had already wobbled back and forth and wore the dimple out to the sides.

I have drilled a .390 diameter hole partway into the shaft and I'm turning down a grade-8 allen bolt to form a pin to fit into the hole in the shaft.
Machine tool Wood Cylinder Gas Engineering

You can see here how the allen bolt will thread into the steering arm and the end of the bolt will tighten down on the end of the hole in the shaft to lock the arm in place.
This mount is not going to wobble loose or snap the bolt off.
Wood Purple Gas Hardwood Magenta

The two steering arms are fastened onto the axle spindles.
Line Bicycle part Wood Bicycle frame Triangle

·
tinkerer
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
The steering arm is bolted to the frame.
Bicycle part Wood Metal Composite material Auto part

And the two tie-rod arms are fastened to the spindle arms.
White Wood Bicycle part Twig Metal

The ball is bolted onto the end of the steering arm and the two tie-rod arms are fastened to it to form the socket around the ball.
Toy airplane Wood Aviation Monoplane Bicycle part

Originally, these two halves of the socket were bolted tight together with a washers held between them. This made it so that the ball had some slop inside the socket.
I bolted the two halves together without the washers in between them so the ball fit snugly in the socket. This worked out alright until I tried to make a full turn to the left or right. Then the ball and socket started to bind up a little.

To correct this, I used longer bolts with springs on them to hold the two halves of the socket together.
Now the ball and socket fit together snugly and there is enough flex so they don't bind up on full turns.
Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Rim Gas

·
tinkerer
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Working on fitting the wheel adapters onto the hubs. The lug studs in the hubs had to be shortened a little so they stay below the outside surface of the adapters.
One lug stud goes all the way thru the hub flange and the adapter.
Household hardware Auto part Gas Circle Automotive tire

The back side of the adapters has slots milled into it that the head of the special lug studs fit into.
Tool Bicycle part Rim Nickel Gas

The adapter is bolted onto the hub to convert it from 4-lug to 5-lug.
Gas Wood Rim Auto part Aluminium

The 12-inch front wheel of a Farmall cub fits onto the hub now.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber Automotive design

The front axle is ready to have the wheels installed. All I'm waiting on is for the grease seals for the hubs to show up.
Furniture Leg Chair Wood Flooring

The 8.00x16 inch rear tires are mounted on the tractor.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Locking hubs

Outside to outside width of the tires is a little over 4-foot wide.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

There is about 3-inches clearance between the side of the tire and the chain sprocket on the rear drums.
Wood Automotive tire Brick Bumper Gas

·
tinkerer
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Interesting project today. Checking out the old model-T radiator that I have and It isn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Small leak in the center of the front about 6 inches up in the core ( you can see a shiny spot of solder ).
Grille Product Automotive tire Rectangle Line

Two leaks on the back lower left side.
Automotive tire Road surface Storm drain Sanitary sewer Drain

And a small crack in the top tank.
Gas Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Metal

I was able to solder the crack in the tank up completely and I was able to solder up the spots in the core to where there is just a some small drips. I'll run some Bars-leak, powder pellets in the coolant and that will seal up the small drips.

This radiator was built in November of 1926 so it may - or may not - hold up once I get the tractor up and running. These " Honeycomb " radiators were built with thicker brass in them then what the factory straight tube radiators had so they do last longer.
Wood Metal Wood stain Pattern Composite material

The cost of a new, stock model-T radiator is around $800 to $1,000 so buying a new one is out of the question.
If this one doesn't hold up, I'll pull the top and bottom tanks off and find a newer car radiator that is about the same width and solder these tanks onto it.
That is how I built the 3-core radiator for the model-T with the Hemi engine in it. The core is from a 1953 Ford truck and I put the top tank from the model-T radiator onto it.
Automotive tire Audio equipment Loudspeaker Gas Studio monitor

41 - 54 of 54 Posts