Garden Tractor Forums banner

Forklift Build-Option 2

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  KennyP 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since I am getting a small amount of flak for using my JD F725 as a forklift, I am offering up Option 2! I have a JD 317 frame and both axles. That's it. Now I have a Kohler Magnum 16 that has no PTO shaft on the crank. (Flush to block). I have a wheelchair lift from a van, complete with it's own hydraulics unit. I can see I can make this work. Main issue would be steering.

Thinking about a hyd. powered tiller steer. Not sure if that would work. Anyway, hook a cylinder to the axle and use a valve with a long handle to adjust the cylinder. What do you all think?

The forklift would be mounted off the rear end with the seat mounted backwards. It would not be a fast mover in reverse, but I can put 26-12's on to help that some. Thinking 18-8.50's for the front (now rear). All 4 ply tires. The lift should handle 300 lbs., maybe more.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Kenny, how high do you intend to lift? I have a homemade fork set on the back of my Simplicity 3310. It will lift 250#(me) to 6" above the ground. The plans for it came from simpletractors and was made by a member there. If you are interested I can take some pics and find the plans for you.

I am concerned about the height of lift as machines get real tippy. Good Luck, Rick

#3 ·
Kenny, how high do you intend to lift? I have a homemade fork set on the back of my Simplicity 3310. It will lift 250#(me) to 6" above the ground. The plans for it came from simpletractors and was made by a member there. If you are interested I take some pics and find the plans for you.

I am concerned about the height of lift as machines get real tippy. Good Luck, Rick
When moving about, just enough to clear the ground. But this will lift high enough to raise a chair to interior van height. That I have to figure out yet. I know I will have to add counter weight at the steering axle. It would be good for loading something heavy into a pickup maybe.

#4 ·
Kenny you are right about caring the load low and lifting when in position. If you could find 6 or 8 ply tires and use high air pressure in then that would add to the stability. Duals would be another option.

Yes your steering will work as you stated with a lever. Just make sure your valve close both A and B ports when in neutral to prevent steering drift. I would also run restrictors in the lines to keep the movement slow.

#6 ·
Kenny you are right about caring the load low and lifting when in position. If you could find 6 or 8 ply tires and use high air pressure in then that would add to the stability. Duals would be another option.

Yes your steering will work as you stated with a lever. Just make sure your valve close both A and B ports when in neutral to prevent steering drift. I would also run restrictors in the lines to keep the movement slow.
Thanks Don. Wasn't sure if that was feasible. I have some restricter fittings I could use. What kind of pressure does a Sundstrand make for the hydraulics?

Reactions: MFDAC
#7 ·
MY vote also! Has power steering. Seat faces the right direction. Just not sure if the axle would carry that much more weight.

Reactions: Gtractor
#9 ·
3 point forks.
Bad part is my 3-point would have issues just picking up the chair lift, much less any more.

Reactions: DH1
#11 ·
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:183641]

Here is a picture of the one dad built using a Howard Commercial Mower, Hydro drive and rear steering
Dana rear end and have had over 1000 lbs on the forks
Only issue was steering with that much weight
Your biggest issue using the garden tractor will be oil capacity and pressure for the hydraulics
This unit has a direct drive hydraulic pump for lift and tilt

#12 ·
Sorry, but I am gonna have to throw the BS flag on that 1000# thing. This rig is rated for 1200# on the 3PH. The bale target should weigh 1000# by volume. It cant move it without the loader mounted and is pretty dicey without the mower deck.

What you have there is basically a teeter totter 300# on the back will lift 300# on the front. If the wheels were moved forward 18", I could see the 1000#

#13 ·
Thanks Don. Wasn't sure if that was feasible. I have some restricter fittings I could use. What kind of pressure does a Sundstrand make for the hydraulics?
Sundstrand runs around 700 PSI and can be turn up to a 1000 Psi before it will shear the drive pin on the charge pump.

You can make your own resistors out of washers and just drill for the flow rate you need. Place them in the cylinder under the fitting.

Reactions: KennyP
#14 ·
Sounds dangerous making this rig. Thought you had a loader tractor? Forks can be put on them, OR, clamp on forks now days too. The rear lift from wheel-horse noted sounds interesting, have to check on that one myself.
No loader tractor, Gary.

Don, the cylinder has 1/4" pipe threads. No place to put washers there. Maybe at the valve, haven't pulled the fittings out of it. But I do have several restrictor fittings from the Ford parts.

#15 ·
Here is a picture of the one dad built using a Howard Commercial Mower, Hydro drive and rear steering
Dana rear end and have had over 1000 lbs on the forks
Only issue was steering with that much weight
Your biggest issue using the garden tractor will be oil capacity and pressure for the hydraulics
This unit has a direct drive hydraulic pump for lift and tilt
I will only use the GT hydraulics for steering. The wheel chair lift has it's own hydraulics.

Reactions: James Bosma
#17 ·
Kenny I will follow along on this as a possible forklift had crossed my mind for my now unused MF8E. I have re-thunk that though and decided on a light-load front end loader or doing away with the hydraulics (power steering pump pressured) altogether and mounting a Sears Suburban mowing deck on it that I have out in a shed. The hydraulics currently operate the up and down on a dozer blade.

Anyway the reason I hijacked your thread was to see what these restricter fittings are that you and Don are speaking of. The power steering setup has always moved much faster than I would like and if this could work for a FEL, I would like it to operate much slower.

Thanks---DAC

Reactions: KennyP
#18 ·
The restricter fittings are nothing more than a restriction to flow in the hydraulic lines. They could be a fitting with a smaller hole or a washer under the fitting with a small hole to slow the flow of Hydraulic fluid. They should not be used between the pump and return as it will cause the system to build too much heat.

Reactions: MFDAC and KennyP
#19 ·
Kenny I will follow along on this as a possible forklift had crossed my mind for my now unused MF8E. I have re-thunk that though and decided on a light-load front end loader or doing away with the hydraulics (power steering pump pressured) altogether and mounting a Sears Suburban mowing deck on it that I have out in a shed. The hydraulics currently operate the up and down on a dozer blade.

Anyway the reason I hijacked your thread was to see what these restricter fittings are that you and Don are speaking of. The power steering setup has always moved much faster than I would like and if this could work for a FEL, I would like it to operate much slower.

Thanks---DAC
Look in this thread, post 28.

Reactions: MFDAC
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.