Garden Tractor Forums banner

Found An Ht20D...now Have To Fix A Hydraulic Leak

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  whitefishblues 
#1 ·
So there I was, searching Craigslist for Bolens large frames again...all prepared to hit the red X in case my wife walked by. I scrolled down and this fuzzy picture showed up of what looked like maybe a large frame hood, but with silver flames painted on it. I passed it by. A few days later it was still there. I clicked. The ad said that the seller didn't know much about it, but that he found a model number on it...2289. I Googled, and when I saw "HT20D", well, I figured I was soon to turn some cash into another Bolens large frame!

It seems to be in really good shape. No battery yet, but the seller did fire it up using his truck battery. The fuel tank is odd - just a little bottle shaped thing on the side with lines attached at the top and bottom. The seller said his friend modified the tractor for his daughter to use in tractor pulls, so he thought the fuel tank setup had something to do with that. I'll return that to stock.

I was hoping this one wouldn't turn into another project...because I certainly have enough of those. But...one of the front hydraulic lines has a hole in it. The vibration of the engine has caused a bolt on the engine support frame to wear through the hydro line. It looks to me like I'm going to have to pull the engine and the dash/steering support to get at that line to replace it. I have a replacement line from an HT20 parts tractor.

I can't quite figure out how to do this. I don't see any obvious places to hook onto the engine to hoist it out of there. I thought of jacking it up from underneath but it has cooling fins under there. They look pretty sturdy, but I sure don't want to damage the engine. Anyone have any advice? I'm stumped, and I'm a little nervous with this one...I know there aren't a lot of these around and that engine parts are probably not available. The engine runs great so I want to make sure I don't screw it up. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
So there I was, searching Craigslist for Bolens large frames again...

I was hoping this one wouldn't turn into another project...because I certainly have enough of those...
:bigrofl: :bigrofl: Really?... On the serious side , I hope you can resolve the identified issues without them being too much of a PITA.

The guys who know these better'll be along to help ya through. Looks like a solid machine otherwise :thumbs: GoodLuck!

#4 ·
Got pics of the engine? May have to make some tabs to hook small chain to lift it.

Reactions: whitefishblues
#6 ·
#8 ·
I haven't decided yet on the flames. It's a very nice, apparently professional paint job. I like the look of the stock Bolens but probably not enough to go to the trouble of changing it back. I think I'm secure enough to use it as is. :love:

Here are pictures of the engine.

Attachments

#10 ·
To lift one of those engines out of the frame on my HT20D, I made lifting tabs that I could attach after removing the aluminum shrouds around the top of the engine.

Looking at the pics of your find, I wonder if the fuel pump and/or the fuel shut-off solenoid are still functional. The stock routing for fuel goes from the bottom of the tank to the fuel pump/filter/solenoid, then to the injectors and excess back to the fuel tank. Yours looks like the PO made a pressurized system with that small tank. The fuel tank for the HT20D's is specific for that model, although you could modify a stock HT23 tank to mimic the proper one.

I am guessing that you already know that the exhaust on that is not stock, but it is nicely done, and would work fine with a rain cap.

#11 ·
OldBuzzard...thanks for the picture. I thought it looked like the air cleaner would be in the way of a normal fuel tank.

LPBolens...did you just bolt the lift tabs on? I'll take the shrouds off to see if it's obvious. You might be right about the fuel pump and shutoff solenoid. Can I test those somehow?

I have the wiring disconnected, the dash off (it's the plastic version and is cracked, so I'm replacing it with a metal version), and almost have the steering column/dash support off. The pin that holds the brake pedal on is being pretty stubborn, and I can't get the last bolt off without removing the brake pedal (because the brake lock is in the way).

So far the only damage I caused is I broke the oil pressure switch. Part #1739840. Anyone have any ideas for a replacement?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.