Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tractorholic
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After trickle charging the battery for 2 days (again) I went out to my Cave (thats what the wife calls it LOL) hooked up the battey and proceeded to turn the old girl over. "CLICK". Did voltage test to the solenoid and then from the solenoid to the starter. Solenoid checked good. Again, starter nothing. Took the starter out and apart. This is what I found.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
54,456 Posts
I believe repairs are in order. What does that wire going into the case go to? Kind of reminds me of my Onan, the brushes had worn down to where the wires attached to them and had finally come loose.

·
Tractorholic
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found a replacement starter online for $50.00. I may go that route. The armature assembly is pretty burnt. As is the housing assembly. Not sure if it's worth repair.
Yah, when I tested it for voltage things got a bit interesting "SPARKY" Hopefully it didn't destroy my digital meter.

·
Tractorholic
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brushes don't look that bad. Look like they have been replaced at least once since new. I think the wire in question connect to the armature assembly which is in pretty rough shape. Alot of melt down.

·
Super Moderator
54,456 Posts
Maybe that's your new nickname, Sparky. LOL It doesn't look good. Probably cost as much as a new one to repair.

·
Tractorholic
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good one. LMAO!! I drove TT for UPS for a few years and my CB handle was FlashLight. (Long story!)

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
KennyP said:
Probably cost as much as a new one to repair.
:ditto:That would be my choice too.
After monkey'g around with the starter on my 12h, I finally surrendered
and bought a new one. What a difference a good cranking makes.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
That is great you found your problem. I would go with the new starter but maybe repair this one and keep as a spare.

Reactions: KIRO-1

·
Tractorholic
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gonna give some serious thought about buying new and rebuilding old. May not be a bad idea.

Sparky! LOL

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
If the armature windings are damaged you are better off with a new starter. Considering how long these things last you won't need to worry about it again. 50$ is a super deal.

·
Tractorholic
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I cleaned up the armature w/wd40 once I got it out of the casing and it doesn't look bad. I'm not real sure how to check it for winding damage. Have a friend that owns a NAPA store/speed shop so thought I would bring it in to him along with the casing and have him check it out to see if it's salvagable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts