Garden Tractor Forums banner

Frame Change

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  retiredarmyguy 
#1 ·
I've got a 1256 that somehow the front of the tubes, where the axle housing attaches, has been bent / pinched. Is it possible to change them one at a time without taking the tractor completely down? I have another parts tractor that the tubes are adequate. I keep thinking I could change one, rebolt that side, then do the other. Anybody else try it?

Thanks

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think you could probably get by doing one side at a time but I think it would actually be alot more difficult.

In my opinion, it would be easier/faster to dismantle the whole thing though.

What model are you taking parts off of? Just remember you need to use tubes from a Hydrostatic as that one tube is curved to accommodate the hydrostatic transmission.

#5 ·
i dont think so with a hydro tube frame as in the one tube has a bend in it to go around the hydro i think you could with a geared tractor tho personally i would swap all the good parts to the parts tractor and run with that because the tubes are quite difficult to change also welcome to the forum
cheers
Tyler

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
It was a common problem to have the front tubes be crushed or bent in due to people not checking the front mounting bolts or over tightening them.
Later on they ended up selling a reinforcement kit you could put in the tubes to prevent them from being bent.

#9 ·
How so? I don't even understand how the tubes would get crushed unless the tractor was in an accident and drove headlong into a tree or was hit by a truck or something. The front mounting bolts for what - the front end that holds the wheels on? If the bolts aren't tightened correctly (or too tight) would the front axle assembly end up bending the tube frame for some reason? That seems like a problem... I wonder if that's something I should check into with my tractor or if nothing is bent up on it now, don't try fixing something that ain't broke?

#8 ·
Thanks to all for the replies.
Ryan313: Merci

KC9KAS: was thinking close to the same thing

Bolens 1000: the tubes are coming off another hydro (1256)

8tyman8: if the other tractor wasn't truly parts (hydro missing, wiring chopped, brakes non-existant,etc...) I would pop the motor over to it and call it good

bhts: I would drive a piece of pipe into both of the front end tubes if the upper half of one didn't look like an "M"

To all, since I don't have to have this tractor running in the next 2 days (I have another that is in good shape), I will try the single tube swap and let you know how obnoxious it turns out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.