Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1946 Frazer B1-6 is in pretty good shape and has likely been in storage for 10 years or more. It was originally delivered (according to a note on the literature) on May 5, 1947.

Before I go on, let me say this isn't my first overhaul of something, but it will be my first full restoration. The intent here is to get the ol' girl running, till my tiny little garden, then restore it this next winter.

And so it begins...

I removed the carburetor and disassembled it. Looked ok, but it needed to be cleaned. So, I mentioned at work that I was going to buy one of those 1 gallon carburetor cleaner w/basket things and a coworker suggested that I get some toilet bowl cleaner and use that. BIG MISTAKE! It started eating away at the aluminum body of the carburetor! The thing is I trusted him because he's a Master ASE certified technician and instructor. Thankfully I have a friend who said he can get the aluminum parts soaked in a nitric acid desmut to stop the caustic effects of the chemical.

Once I have the carburetor issue worked out and a few parts ordered that I need, I'll attempt to start it. Hopefully in the not too distant future as the ground will be calling soon.

Though the tiller shaft and wheel shaft seals appear to be leaking, I'm not going to replace these right away. Here are the parts that I'll be ordering initially. Aeroshell 80 Oil, Fuel Strainer and Screen, Carburetor Repair Kit, Spark Plug (spare), Starter Pulley Shaft Lock Ring, Transmission Shift Lever Bushing, Hood Flap Hinge Pin, Air Cleaner to Carburetor Air Hose Tube. Not too bad to start with, though I'm sure there'll be more parts needed as I begin the full restoration.

That's about it for now. I'll post more as things progress.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The carburetor Idle Tube seems to be stuck in the body. I don't want to bend or break it. Anyone know of a trick to getting it out of the body without damage? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nevermind. Came out easily, especially after the corrosive affects of the Toilet Bowl Cleaner. UGH! Looks like I'll need to buy a carburetor. Dangit!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to earthgrinder I now have a replacement carburetor. The original one was too far gone.

Note to self: go with what you know to be true, even if someone (who knows a lot) tells you otherwise.

Question: I will be ordering the Aeroshell 80 motor oil, but in the meantime, is it possible to use a standard 2-Stroke oil for starting and testing, etc.? There's a Shell station in town, but I doubt they'd have aircraft oil.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sawdust

·
Member
Joined
·
535 Posts
I've been running two stoke oil in mine with no problems.
Back when I was gardening I ran an oil called Golden Spectro at 40:1 for years after a break-in period running SAE 50. Now I run mostly two stroke oil. Read the 2-stroke oil articles I link on my website.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Well, it took most of the weekend to get it to the point of being able to till with it. Figured out that whoever worked on it last (not the guy I bought it from) installed the tine holder hubs backwards (left/right). Took me a few minutes to before I figured out what the problem was. For others who are following this, I put on a rebuilt carburetor (thanks to earthgrinder), cleaned the rust out of the gas tank, repaired the recoil (needs a new spring), adjusted the points (couldn't see the spark, but I sure as heck could feel it), added gear oil to the transmission (there are a few leaks), and reversed the spring tines (after seriously bending a spring [pic attached]). I do have to say that though it sounds good when not working, it seems to labor a bit while churning the earth, almost as if it's lacking horsepower. Maybe a timing issue? Normal? I seem to remember Gramps not laboring and powering through most any soil.

Bent Spring Pic

YouTube Video in action
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep those following this thread updated...

Well, I spread some compost and manure on my little garden and decided to mix it up a bit. So, Matilda (name given by my girls) started with 3 pulls, but I couldn't get it to rev up. Hmmm, so I began thinking... Since it started so easy, I deduced that compression and spark must be okay and pulling out the choke only made it worse. Thus, it has to either be a fuel issue or an air delivery problem. Turns out, the oil bath air filter was choking it off. I pulled the intake hose off and the motor revved right up! Seems the filter was partially plugged. Since we just had two days of heavy rain, I felt there was no risk of dust ingestion without the oil bath, so to the garden we rolled. Well, she had plenty of horse and churned up a storm! Last week, I did clean it with some carburetor cleaner, but didn't soak the medium in any solvent. I guess that's next.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top