Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After recently putting back together my Sears GT 917.255.914 model, I have come upon a new problem. Keep in mind that this mower had rolled twice, but since I have gotten it going again I have mowed my yard two times with it. Well almost two times. I was almost finished when the engine started to decelerate then it shutoff all of a sudden. It seems that it gets fuel, but maybe not enough? It has a pulse pump to feed it fuel but I am not sure that it is getting enough. Before the pump is an inline filter that may be the culprit. The gas does come thru the filter but maybe it is partially blocked. Or could it be that the pump is not fully functional. The vacuum hose to it works and there was fuel in it when I took hoses off. Also is the something in the carb itself that could be the problem? A clogged spot or screen? Like I said, it will start up but will not handle the mower engagement or when not engaged will run for 30-45 seconds then shutoff.

·
Super Moderator
55,652 Posts
Might be a bad fuel line. Would take some research to go further!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Interesting. I will check it out tomorrow. How about this. I took a spark plug off and it was very wet. Too much gas flooding it out? I had not made any adjustments prior to this happening. Or maybe bad gas?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I totally removed the gas cap and no improvement. I have in my mind to remove fuel filter and hoses and scrutinize them. KennyP, I saw a post of yours from 10 years ago regarding a GT18 and a Walbro 3028 pulse pump, which is what is on mine. What was your problem? I thought maybe something might be working about about half and not delivering a steady flow, but maybe not enough fuel. Were you able to resolve your issue? I also found your Walbro repair pdf and downloaded it. Thanks.
Update: Fuel filter is ok. Fuel line to pulse pump ok. I am hesitant to take pulse pump apart to see if some thing is amiss without replacement gasket kit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You had a " very wet" spark plug. Thats what I would focus on. I think the fuel system is fine but you are experiencing a loss of power due to a fouled plug or bad coil. First clue you gave is a very wet plug.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you have a wet plug it is because the plug is not firing. If the plug was igniting the fuel it would be dry. You need to check the plug itself to see if it has spark, or replace your plugs and see if that solves the issue. That would be my starting point.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But the engine runs! Just about 30-45 seconds then dies out. If I engage the blades it does out quicker. Remember, I am getting this thing back into action. It got away from me, went down a small hill and rolled over twice. Since rehabilitation I have run it and mowed successfully for over an hour on two separate occasions. Then this business started. If you think a bad plug or plugs, I am in. I will also be looking at the coil to see if it is intact. I am grateful for any and all assistance. Just filling you in on all I know. Thank you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The plugs are a quick and easy fix if that is the problem. Plugs go bad. If its the coul it will cost a little more but another easy fix. When replacing a coil you can use a business card betheen coil and flywheel. This will give you correct spacing. Hopefully its just a spark plug.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ok. They don't match. It's the way I bought it years ago. Champion RJ12YC and a J12YC. I understand the RJ12YC is shorter.
Also, while it does it's brief run there is an occasional loud whacking noise that sounds like it is coming from the flywheel area. I pulled the housing back expecting to see a loose coil but it appears solid.
And the flywheel can be moved by hand and I do not detect it hitting anything. Could this be the bad plug not firing and causing disruption in the motors cycle of rotation?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The noise,,, what engine, is it the horizontally opposed twin? If so, your oil slinger may have broken and it's trying to sieze to top connecting rod. If it does but will turn over but not start, but sounds ok this is not the problem. Overheating coil is next suspect, when it does have another plug handy and pull a plug wire, put the plug in it, lay it on metal, and turn it over, if no spark,, kill wire is shorting or a bad coil, if it sparks,,, keep looking,,,. All the best,,

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
reson4, thanks for the reply. It is a horizontal twin. I pulled the plugs and checked the wires against the engine and both have good spark. I pulled the cylinder head and the the cylinder was deep in the hole. I rotated the flywheel and the cylinder came forward only about 3/8". Also the top wall around the inside was dry vs. oily or clean and shiny and it appeared to have a light almost powdery wet rust although the mower when outside has a cover on it. I do believe the cylinder has a problem since it does not come out on shaft rotation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts