Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1054 in nice original condition. I have had a few mechanical issues with it, mostley because it had been sitting unused. I got the carb sorted out today, then discovered that the plastic fuel tank was leaking on the seam. I was beginning to think that she was just hard on gas, but now I see the issue. Is there a way to repair the tank? If not, are there new tanks available? I assume a used tank could potentially have the same problem.

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, repairing it is much more in my budget, Would a good cleaning with brake cleaner, followed by a scuffing up with emory cloth work as surface prep? I have used 2 part epoxy's before. but not JB weld in particular.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
The 2 part epoxy will work good also. Secret it to get the surface as clean a possible. I use denatured alcohol for the final cleaning. No oil in it. Roughing it up with emery cloth or much courser with a wood rasp won't hurt a thing. Just be sure the epoxy is cured good before you expose it to gas again. Good luck.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chieffan. The wood rasp was not only more effective than the emory cloth but much quicker as well. It turned out the tank was leaking at both ends, so I decided to do the seams all the way around. There were a couple of spots I couldn't get the rasp into, so I used the emory cloth there. I started by degreasing the whole tank with brake cleaner, then roughed up the seam, followed by another shot of brake cleaner, then a final wipedown with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol (which I assume is the same as denatured). I also cleaned my mixing surface and mixing/spreading tool the same way. The entire process took around 1/2 hr, including taking pics of each step if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks again to both of you, Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts