Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to this forum so please be patient ;-) I have a G10 (built 1977 I believe) with a Briggs and Stratton engine. It was working fine and then suddenly stopped starting. I replaced the plug and checked all visible leads for wear. The starter still turns over strongly but when I pull the plug and check the spark I get nothing. Any idea of a mostly likely cause for this? Solenoid maybe? It's a great little tractor so I'd like to get it fixed instead of replacing.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
Hi Steve, Welcome to GTtalk. Do you know if your engine has electronic ignition or points? First place I think I would check is the safety switches. The seat switch is the one that usually tend to go out.

Check the manual section for a manual for your tractor and engine that may help.

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,232 Posts
Hi, Steve, welcome to GTT !

Your problem will not be in the solenoid, as that is the part that energizes the starter, so if the starter is turning, the solenoid is OK.

There are usually safety switches on the PTO and clutch to prevent starting with the tractor in gear or with the pto engaged. ...However, if I'm not mistaken, on your G10, they would prevent the starter from turning, not disable the ignition.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to this forum so please be patient ;-) I have a G10 (built 1977 I believe) with a Briggs and Stratton engine. It was working fine and then suddenly stopped starting. I replaced the plug and checked all visible leads for wear. The starter still turns over strongly but when I pull the plug and check the spark I get nothing. Any idea of a mostly likely cause for this? Solenoid maybe? It's a great little tractor so I'd like to get it fixed instead of replacing.

Thanks,

Steve
Welcome to the forum, Steve.

Your model 1055 (G-10) has a B&S model 251417 motor. Spark gap should be 0.030 with a Champion RCJ-8 or equivalent. The wiring diagram states that your model is wired for a magneto system. There is a Blue wire coming off the key switch on the "D" terminal. That is your ground out when you shut the engine off. You will need to check that the magneto is not grounded when in the Run position on the switch. That's the easy test. Next would be to check the Magneto for damage or misalignment.

Good luck.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Also check the wire lead from the magneto to the coil and check the spark plug wire. Ohm them out for continuity and check active for voltage.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Make sure when your checking for spark with the plug out that the plug is in fact grounded. Also B&S does not have a real strong visible spark and is easy to miss. Check the fly wheel magnet for dirt, rust, etc. The cleaner the better. Re-gap the coil using a business card between the coil and flywheel magnet. Lot of little things can cause a big problem and nothing is more irritating than a small engine that won't start. Good luck.

Reactions: MyBolens1053
1 - 7 of 7 Posts