Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Tractorholic
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call two weeks ago on wednesday from a local township that I had applied for a job at back in 2005. I didnt get the job back then and they have been thru several people since then and decided when the last guy gave his notice a month ago to give me a call and see if I was interested. Well I have not been happy at work for a while with the way maintenance is being performed on the trucks I drive and with the way I am being treated. So last monday I resubmitted the updated application and got a call on wednesday to come in for an interview. I went in for it last friday and they said they would get back to me after their meeting on monday of this week. I got a call from the one supervisor monday evening informing me that they voted to hire me on at the meeting.

When I started at the lumber company I drive for now I was hired by the owner as he was my direct boss at the time. Since then they have added a general manager to the store and yard portion of the busisness and I report directly to him on most things. However the owner now runs the millwork side of the business and the general manager reports some of my work to him while other aspects of my work I have to report directly to the owner. It gets to be a messed up deal some days when one wants to send me here and the other wants to send me somewhere else. When I get to customers jobs their barking at me when the delivery times of the bosses aren't met. The owner has yet to say anything to me regarding my decision to leave. I will be glad to leave the drama.

I will now work a regular work schedule of 40 hours as opposed to the 47 minimum that I work now. I will have saturdays off instead of working every saturday morning. The pay will be slightly better to start with a sizeable increase after 90 days and I will get more paid holidays than now as well as sick days which I do not currently get. Plus the medical benefits are completely covered with no out of pocket by me for them.

So all in all I think I would have been a fool to not take it especially when they are the ones that called me in the first place. I just hope that it all works out and goes well. Im not to concerned about that but only time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
54,617 Posts
Good luck with the new job. Benefits are always a plus. Plus less hours = more GT time!

Reactions: IHCubGuy

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
Reminds me of a song,

"Take this job and shove it......"

Reactions: IHCubGuy

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
Good Luck with the new job. Enjoy the new benefits. When you've been there a little while find out what educational benefits are available. Most states have workshops for road crews on many work related topics. There is usually a certificate that is earned after about 8 day long workshops. If you can, go for it. Many places require the certificates for promotions and pay raises. All roadcrew members should have the certs to better protect the town from lawsuits when there are accidents. I was a town engineer for ten years.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts