Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...check the bolts on your rear end. Yesterday was a bad day for me. I finally got the wheel weights on the 1855 and was starting to get some work done, when the tractor started making a funny noise, smoke began rolling out from under the seat pan, and I saw sparks shooting out around me. I shut it down, lifted the seat, and this is what I saw:

Material property Gas Nail Tints and shades Electrical wiring

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Vehicle brake Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Gas Vehicle Electrical wiring Auto part

Textile Wood Cylinder Pipe Metal

The entire rear end assembly started to come out from under the tractor. It snapped part of the cast aluminum case assembly, and cracked a hydraulic line. There are 3 bolts on each side that hold the rear end to the tractor...2 bolts down low and 1 up top. Upon inspection, it looks like one of the rear bolts and fallen out, and the other worked loose. This allowed enough play in things that it snapped cast housing around the remaining top bolt. You can kindof see the bolts in these pics:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Wood Gas Machine Metal Automotive wheel system

I've never heard of this happening before, and fluke things often happen to me that never happen to anyone else. BUT, it's worth the 5 minutes it will take for you to get a wrench and tighten these 6 bolts before you start your tractor again! This tractor only has 673 hours on it, and was primarily used for snow blowing. Now, get off your computer and go grab a wrench!

--Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
OUCH!!!!!!!!! I just went and checked mine out and both of the main 3/4" headed bolts were loose that go into the casing!!! Sorry for your luck but on the flipside THANK YOU!!! You may have just saved some headaches for others!!

·
Super Moderator
54,600 Posts
That's not supposed to happen! Is that a Peerless rear end? I've got an extra, might have change axles though!

Reactions: ENafziger

·
Super Moderator
6,324 Posts
I am usually the one that weird stuff happens to. I see that its not just me. Never had that one happen yet, and hope I don't. Sorry for your trouble, looks nasty. I had a couple of bolts loose on my lgt165 Ford once. nothing happened, but I always look now, when I am around the rear ends. Noel

Reactions: ENafziger

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wow! Yikes. I guess it could have caught on fire and burnt up too!

Not a good thing!

When I read the title of your post, I thought you were watching me be lazy and just wanted me to go do something productive for a change!

Hope you can get this fixed soon!

Regards,

Chris

·
1,087 Posts
I have actually bought a 1650 and a 1655 with the top right tab on the rearend that was broke off already. Need to see if I can get them welded back on. I'm out of spares. Lol. Sorry about your luck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I'm going to try to re-align everything, tighten the bolts, and replace the bolt that is missing. I did just get a spool gun and bottle of Argon for my MIG welder, so I may try my hand at welding that top boss back on.

...but it might be a week or so until I get to it. The head gasket just blew on my daily driver truck and filled the radiator with oil :( Grrrr.....

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Along those same line if you have an MTD built machine, watch the area where that tin can frame is bolted to the axle. Frame has a tendency to crack and work up the sides. Best fix I have found is a 10" piece of bed rail with the narrow side on the axle. That is the first place to look if the drive belt jumps off when shifting to reverse.

Reactions: MH81 and limebuzz
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.