Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Tractorholic
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guy's. got some snapper red paint at nappa the other day and a spray gun. i have never painted with good paint before. looking for tips, things to do, things not to do.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Well,make sure what you're painting is clean (grease, wax free ),the surface needs to be sanded ( with at least 320 grit or finer ) so that the new paint has something to grip to.Follow the reduction instructions on the can.Don't use too much air pressure,let the paint tack off between coats,and don't put it on too heavy ( light coats ).Also,don't hold the gun too close to the surface,you'll want about 8" to 12" between gun and surface.One other thing,if your paint is mixed too thick,you'll probably get an orange peel effect.Good luck,and show us the end results.

Be sure to use the proper reducer for that kind of paint,not thinner unless it is lacquer.And if it supposed to have an activator,then use one ,it will give you better results.

·
4,481 Posts
What's the paint # for snapper paint?

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
And DO have an old hood or the like to test spray pattern on. It may take a bit of tweaking the gun to get spraying correctly. You don't want to do the first spray on your Snapper without testing! Also, besides the correct reducer, also make sure you get the proper reducer for the temps in your area. Fast reducer for cooler, medium for say like 75 to 80F and slow reducer for higher temps. Is this straight enamel, acrylic enamel, or what type?

·
Tractorholic
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got to put the painting on hold girlfriend is on holidays for 2 weeks. we have to go shopping ( sucks ) i feel sick just thinking about it.

·
32,409 Posts
tyler said:
got to put the painting on hold girlfriend is on holidays for 2 weeks. we have to go shopping ( sucks ) i feel sick just thinking about it.
Say what??
"We have to go shopping"....man, you've got it bad!
:bigrofl:

·
4,481 Posts
tyler said:
:mecry:I think we might have our priorities out of order here.:bigrofl:

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Yeah,I hope you have no problems.

·
32,409 Posts
Good luck to ya man! I know how stressful painting time can be. Heading to paint shop today myself, but just shooting rims.

·
1,499 Posts
Good luck with your painting! Hope everything works well for you and we see some nice pictures later.

·
Tractorholic
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
paint code L8831 snapper red, dupont nason ful-thane. still painting, it looks good but i know what you guy's mean - prep is everything.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
You won't be disappointed with that paint,that urethane gives a very tough finish with great shine to it.Excellent choice:thumbs:

·
Tractorholic
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok guys. the snapper is painted. still have to paint rims but looking for tires. put engine in yesterday and fired her up. no problems runs perfect. heading to barrie this weekend for the swap meet, hoping to get some cheap turf tires. the pics are coming, painting took longer than i thought. next week, thinking thursday i'll be racing around the back yard.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Glad to hear you got it panted,can't wait to see the pics.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
MH81 said:
Did the painting cut into your shopping time? :D
I hate it when that happens LOL

Can't wait to see how she turned out. If you don't come across a nice cheap set of used tires check with Gene at Gearworks on prices for new ones. I don't know if he has turf tires or not. I have a set of used turfs off my 1655, they have some weather checking on them but hold air. I want to put ags on it.

·
32,409 Posts
VERY nice Tyler! Worth the wait for the pics!:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Tyler.Very nice looking outfits.These old tractors sure look nice.I don't think the new box store stuff comes even close to the old ones'.Larry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts