Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bush Hog Addict
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking for a while.....great info.....for some reason I just like these red garden tractors. I have found my first massey to work on. My plans is to "restore" it so I can use it in the booth at the tradeshows. Will always be a back up for my other mowers. Todd has been a big help giving me insights on what to look for. Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Congrats on your find. These tractors are great! I just used my MF12G to cut my lawn for the first time today. Always before, I've used a two wheel gravely tractor, and there's just something different about using a riding lawnmower, especially one that echoes childhood memories. I walked into the house saying "THAT WAS TOTALLY WICKED!!"

Is the tractor currently running or will that be one of the things you have to start with?

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Looks very complete, good find! If it's a runner, should be a relatively easy restoration. Another plus, it has points instead of the CDI.
When you say trade shows, do you mean Tractor trade shows, or Lawn & Garden? Or something else?

·
Super Moderator
54,023 Posts
:welcometogttalk: Your tractor looks to be a good candidate for a restore. Even the dog is giving it the once over. Good luck with it! Thanks for the pics.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Welcome to the forum,and congrats.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
mikebramel said:
Looks like a 1967 and it had a snowblower
How can you tell if it had a snowblower? What is the clue?

Good looking machine there. Start looking for the right seat pan, if you want to restore back to original.
Maybe you already know, but a great site to help in your resto, is agcopartsbooks.com
Sign in as guest. Then you can enter those part numbers at jack's small engines.

Get some good penatrating oil on that steering wheel nut/shaft.

·
Bush Hog Addict
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys! It is running and all of the moving parts that I tried were working. The steering column is loose. Needs a new battery. I will want to go back to original so finding a seat pan will be part of the plan. I am in the nursery business and thought one of these restored in the midst of some plants....(maybe find a red massey trailer to go with it)....should get some guys to stop and look at my booth!! Yes it is a 67 with points (thanks Todd for speeding up my learning curve). I am guessing the red light on the tail end is an aftermarket addition???? Not too much snow in my area so I will probably not be in the need to find a snow plow....but it does have the foot extension and I noticed a "ring" under the cowl on the right side to hold a shaft?? (I am guessing part of the snow blowers set up).....snow blowers and snow plows are not implements I am looking for...but hopefully a tiller is in my future!
Got to admit seeing IAMSHERWOODS MF10 with the sickle was one of the reasons that hooked me on these GT's! Impressive!
I don't think I will be restoring more than one....but I am a sucker for a deal....so if the right one comes along....maybe another one will be in my future. I will take pics as I go....part of the fun is learning and hopefully helping others as well.

Great site! I look forward to each new thread!

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
You definitely are off to a great start. I like all colors of tractors but there is something about the looks of a Massey. The one thing I would change is to flip the rear rims so it is narrower in the rear. For some reason, and this is only personal opinion, I don't like the look of the wide stance when the rims are flipped unless you need the wide stance for mowing on the side of hills.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
I have a 12 with the headlights option. It has one red tail light and one white tail light. Perhaps some one else can say whether two red lights or one was standard.

Howard

·
Bush Hog Addict
3,431 Posts
NUTNDUN I was thinking the tires looked too wide in the back.....yes I will change that. The previous owner lives in a hilly area.....so that makes sense.

I am hoping to attend the Old Timey Tractor show next saturday. I plan on picking up the mower and then heading that way if all goes according to plan. Hopefully I will get the chance to meet those from here that are attending and learn more about these mowers.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
mikebramel said:
The foot piece that bolts onto the pto pedal for the early style snowblower
Ah ha, I see it now.

sacsr.
Apprently you're not aware of the addiction factor here.
Right now you say, that you don't think you'll be restoring another one.
We here at GTT know better than that.:smile1:

Start building a bigger shop while you have time.:smile1:
Welcome to GTT. Keep it up with the pictures. We like pictures.:wave:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts