· New Member
Home built wood splitter that my Dad and I built back 40 plus years ago. The B&S motor [ brand new at the time] we put on it is getting a bit tired. I re-rung it and freshened the valves about 15 years ago and its gotten a bit tired again. Time for a new motor. I saw that Harbor Freight had a sale on these 6.5 hp motors so I decided to try one. Had to lay out and drill/tap new mounting holes. Fairly easy project to do. I have a new pump mounting bracket ordered as the one used on the other motor has a larger bolt circle. New bracket should be here in a few days. I really don't see any issues with switching to this new motor. Just one tiny piddly thing I found was the oil drain holes aren't tapped for pipe thread, they use a metric bolt for the plug. I was going to install a short pipe nipple and cap so the oil would drain past the edge of the mount plate. It's not a huge deal, I can just use a scrap of cardboard for a throw away drain spout. Got the motor bolted down and will probably put oil and gas in it tomorrow and give it a short test run. Fingers crossed.