Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
Bolens 1053 - 1970?
80 Posts
These 6.5 hp engines are very common in Germany too because you get them for about 100 EUR. They get good reviews wherever they are used.
However - all new engines are ohv-engines while the old ones (normally) where side valve engines.
No doubt, the ohv is much more efficient than a sv. But I am wondering if more mechanic can cause more trouble over the years... But I guess this is a hypothetical question.

By the way: Where does the center beam came from. "Holzhauer Maschine" is German....

· Registered
Bolens 1053 - 1970?
80 Posts
The extension seems to be the best way!

So far I used aluminum foil, folded it several times for better stability and finally formed it into a u-shape.
It works the same way as the cardboard but without getting soaked and wet. But a submit: it is always a little bit of mess anyway.

· Registered
Bolens 1053 - 1970?
80 Posts
In all my motorcycles I use NGK as well as in all the push mowers and the lawn tractor I maintain - never really had an issue with. Chinese quality: Many products of even "good" brands were produced in China. They really can do deliver high quality products - but cheap products too.
If the engine is "eating" spark plugs than some other settings need to be checked - as Chev already said.

· Registered
Bolens 1053 - 1970?
80 Posts
Well, every comparison has some advantages and disadvantages. But at least the combustion needs to be as well adjusted as possible.
The difference between our tractor engines and a car engine is, that a car engine works much more with the gas pedal as an tractor engine. So providing the right amount of fuel depending on the gas pedal requires a more complicated carburator.
The big benefit of our tractor or even wood splitter application is, that the engine is running with a governor. It is supposed to run with a constant speed, which is adjustable but not as "nervous" as with a gas pedal. So finding the right setting can take a while but once its done it is good for a long time.
I prefer to run these kind of engines better "rich" than "lean", just to avoid the possible damages a lean combustion can do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts