Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,806 Posts
Any plug can fail at any time. I’ve had a few go bad just in winter storage. Drive tractor in for winter storage. In the spring, no start. Change plug and away it goes.

Stew, I’ve never heard of a exhaust pipe getting orange/red with a rich mixture. Always thought when it was a lean mixture that it could do that. Interesting.

Noel

· Super Moderator
6,806 Posts
Well in my experience, as Dave said, late timing well cause that. Over revving will cause it too. If you take a plug out and it’s clean as a whistle or take a plug out and it’s sooted up, In my mind the clean one is in a mixture that’s lean to a point, or burning correctly and the sooty one is in a rich mixture. I have no data to proof that. So I’ll go another route to explain. Acetylene and oxygen torch’s.
Sharp blue flame tip will heat things much better than a blue flame with yellow tips. So, the yellow tips are caused by to much acetylene, rich mixture. Just my thoughts. Please correct me if wrong.

Noel

· Super Moderator
6,806 Posts
Well Im no expert, but to me, any flame wether it’s a torch, gas engine, kerosene lamp, wood fire, oil furnace they all can burn rich or lean. Not to hard to figure out. To much fuel or to much air. Have the mixtures set right and they burn fine. I don’t think the apples and oranges have any bearing on it.

Noel

· Super Moderator
6,806 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts