Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Tractorholic
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to move some of my old equipment out to make room in my yard, etc., so I can get ready for winter. I've sold a few things, but mainly traded--sometimes for another tractor!!

Here's my latest trade--

Good bye to: Case 444 rolling chassis w/o engine, pump, or oil cooler; Case hydraulic tiller (came with 444); Haban Sickle Bar Mower (from Case 195).
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Hello to: White 1650 Yardboss tractor with shaft drive tiller and shaft drive mower deck. Engine is 16 hp B&S--starts the instant the key is turned...

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire

The other fellow is from Montana, so we split the difference and met in Rexburg, ID--about 4 hours driving (235 miles) each way... but, that's the way it is out West--we measure trips in hours, not miles, and often have to go long distances to get something we want--see my post "My Ford LGT16 Odyssey" under the Ford forum...

Anyway, I'm excited, and the other fellow is too as he now has a parts machine for his other Case 444 and a couple implements...

Utah Smitty

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
54,601 Posts
Cool, got one that runs! That's a plus!

Reactions: Utah Smitty

·
Tractorholic
2,177 Posts
Cool, got one that runs! That's a plus!
LOL!! Yeah, I've had a deuce of a time with my Ford LGTs... The other LGT165 I got has a problem-- the engine spins fine when no plug is installed, but put the plug in and leave the plug wire off, and it spins, then stops for a second like it's straining then spins, and stops for a second. It's only making one or two revolutions at best... I suspect a bad rod... what do you say???

Also, Kenny, I have a line on a K361 from a GT. Are they any good? I'm thinking of putting it in my LGT...

Steve

·
Tractorholic
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i like the Bolens with tiller. Very nice
I believe these were actually made by MTD--match the 990? series? The transaxle is a Peerless 2503, and it has the cast in lugs for the 3 point, just like the Ford LGTs. The lifts are hydraulic, and the implements are shaft drive--no front PTO, only the bare end of the crankshaft.

·
Tractorholic
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a win win deal.....good for you! I can appreciate getting rid of some things to make room for others! Nice White gt!
It's really in very good shape. The PO found it as a derelict, and cleaned it up, painted the hood and fenders, and got the engine running. It starts as soon as you hit the key--no smoke, runs smooth. It's hydrostatic, so it's easy to use...in fact, my mom--who has been wanting me to sell some of the tractors I have stored at her place, "persuaded" me to leave it with her so she could use it to till up the garden for winter...

·
Super Moderator
54,601 Posts
Never dealt with a K361. My Ford is the first K341. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in!

·
Tractorholic
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was reading down thru the posts, thinking in my head "I wonder if US's Mom will talk him out of it?" (Remembering she had grown leery of the Sears)

Then I read your last post & laughed.

Looks like a good find, glad you were able to make the trade.
LOL!! Well, it's only on "loan"... actually gives me a place to keep it...

She uses her Sears a lot, but it had problems with stalling--I put an electric fuel pump on it, etc. and it still was a problem... she finally found the solution from a Google Search of all things (mom's 79 years young)... The gas caps on those tractors were bad to clog up the vent... she just leaves the cap on a little loose, and... no more problem...

US

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
That is a nice 990! About the nicest I've seen. And a tiller too....super package! That deck appears to be in great shape as well! I think you did good, and both of you being happy is a win-win!

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Nice White Smitty. That is a very fine looking tractor and it is rare to find them that unmolested. Most of them I see up here are beat to death. You may not be able to get mom to part with that once she gets used to it.

·
Tractorholic
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice White Smitty. That is a very fine looking tractor and it is rare to find them that unmolested. Most of them I see up here are beat to death. You may not be able to get mom to part with that once she gets used to it.
Well, if that happens, we're gonna have a little son to mother talk--actually she's the littler one... stand about 5'3", but she's feisty--must be her German mother and Cajun father...Anyway, it's the best running GT I have right now, so I'm gonna use it... (I hope ;o} )

US

·
Tractorholic
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Put a pulley on that bare crankshaft and suddenly it's a PTO.

That's how they power the snowblower.
That's a good idea! Maybe I can power my Ford Snowblower with it since it doesn't look like my Fords will be running before winter...

Steve

·
Tractorholic
2,177 Posts
Spent some time using it today... it works well, but the drive shaft to the tiller rubs the transaxle and the cross bar for the mower lift when it's raised all the way... I now know not to leave it running in the raised position, but it's hard to know how high you can safely raise it. The shaft seems to be about 1 1/2" diam. tube. Can a person run a smaller shaft on this--it would allow more clearance.

Steve

·
1,824 Posts
You know.... I think you just explained the heavy wear on the bottom of my transaxle.

There is a deep wear groove on the bottom and I always wondered what it came from although I never gave it a huge amount of thought. Plus I always wondered how there could possibly be enough clearance for a tiller driveshaft. I just never put two and two together.

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
I like what you came out of the deal with. Great looking White. I'd say you did well, but you already know that. Isn't it nice hearing it over and over though. lol

Reactions: Utah Smitty
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.