Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
54,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Aaron, I have a couple goodies to help out in the garage! These are only borrowed until he gets another shop built.

First is a 14" metal chop saw:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Asphalt Automotive wheel system

Needs a new blade, but I think he has some!

Next is a larger drill press. This one goes down to 400 RPM:

Gas Composite material Engineering Machine Metal

It is a short post model, so I built a 24" high stand for it. Has wheels on the back to aid in moving it.

Pedestal Paint Gas Art Cylinder

Here's the bit's that came with it:

Hand tool Font Garden tool Metalworking hand tool Wood

Haven't checked them out, but they are some biggies!

Attachments

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
You will want to get a drill press just like it after using his. After a vise it is the most used stand-alone item in my shop!

Ben W.

Reactions: KennyP

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
5,623 Posts
That's a nice haul you've borrowed there Kenny! Those are both very useful tools. the only problem that see is that when you have to return them, you'll have to run out and buy some to replace them! I don't know what I would do without my drill press. I'd like to pick up a chop saw too, but it's not going to happen any time soon.

·
Premium Member
15,608 Posts
Kenny, your going to love the drill press. You got quite a bit of money in all those bits, anything over 1" gets real expensive.

Nice haul, maybe he'll forget where they are !! :D

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Nice additions to your shop Kenny. Drills in general are probably the most used tools in my shop as well. From the cordless drills up to the drill press they get a lot of use. Have you decided on your first GT project at your new home?

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Speaking of drills.

This past Christmas, I bought myself a set of step drills, as I was looking through

the tool isle, for something for the wife. :D

If you don't have a set, I highly recommend them.

They're a bit pricey, but after you've used them a few times, you'll be

glad you bought them.

Normally hard to do things, like enlarging the hole in a battery cable lug, are painless.

They don't grab, like a normal spiral drill does.

·
Super Moderator
54,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice additions to your shop Kenny. Drills in general are probably the most used tools in my shop as well. From the cordless drills up to the drill press they get a lot of use. Have you decided on your first GT project at your new home?
I'm trying to get set up for the box blade overhaul, Brian! That drill press is going to be sweet to use! It needs some TLC, but I'm happy with getting to use it!

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
It makes it much, much easier to drill holes in thick steel than using a hand held drill. Also getting holes lined up accurately and drilled round is much easier. Try to find a chart for speed versus bit diameter. A large bit needs a slow speed, sometimes slower than you would expect.

·
Tractorholic
8,405 Posts
The chop saw is a very handy tool to have. Those big bits are nice too . Maybe someday l,ll be able to get a nice drill press like that one. Enjoy using those tools

·
Super Moderator
54,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It makes it much, much easier to drill holes in thick steel than using a hand held drill. Also getting holes lined up accurately and drilled round is much easier. Try to find a chart for speed versus bit diameter. A large bit needs a slow speed, sometimes slower than you would expect.
My little drill press had a slow speed of 630 RPM. A bit fast for anything above 1/2".

The chop saw sure saves time making parts!

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
Nice addition Kenny.

·
PK Fanatic
5,251 Posts
I know you never not have a drill press again! I know I will never not have one again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts