Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Tractorholic
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad just called and said his cousin wants to give me his old Snapper tractor. It turns over but just won't pop off. Here's what I know (because fr some reason they didn't talk about the model number). It has an 18HP Kohler (replacement engine at one point). It has a hydro foot control that may need some linkage work. It's probably at least 20+ years old but that's just a guess.

I'm excited yet I am really wondering what model this could be? I really, really hope it is one of the bigger GT models but could be a smaller LT (vertical shaft repower maybe???).

So...Snapper/Massey experts - what could it be? Feel free to list all the possibilities, even the less desirable ones.

·
Tractorholic
300 Posts
Hmmm! Gonna have me riveted waiting for the pics. I have no clue which model.

·
Tractorholic
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris - I'm just going to keep thinking that your right so if it's a bigger GT model I'll be so happily surprised! I'm guessing you are probably right on though due to the size of the yard it's coming from. Either way, I can get a good Kohler for a future project or fix it up, paint it green, and call it my "Ollinapper." I know I'll probably never find a reasonable Oliver so this could be the temporary solution to my "Holy Grail" GT.

·
Tractorholic
4,070 Posts
So when are you getting it?
I have never even seen an Oliver come up for sale around here.
Good luck on ole Ollinapper LOL.

·
Tractorholic
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dad has to round up a trailer within the next couple of weeks. It'll be at his place for awhile I imagine - probably until my kids don't need strollers, or trikes, or a garage full of stuff that takes up room for my stuff. I should be able to see it soon, hopefully, or at least have Dad send a few pics in the near future. There was one Oliver up for sale about 25 miles from here awhile ago. He wanted $3500 - ouch! But in reality probably not a horrible price for one. A few years ago I bid an Oliver/MM/White compiled LT at an auction up to $550. I should have gone higher but my limited knowledge of how I would never see one again plus the empty pockets factor stopped me.

·
Tractorholic
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. The one I bid on was labeled as a 108. Oliver didn't make a 108 but it had a true Oliver grill. The rest was yellow like a MM and the serial tag said White as I believe all the Olivers and MMs did. So, I am still stumped as if this one was cobled together at a White dealer, a replacement hood was attached,or if it was some kind of "one-of-a-kind" tractor. Haven't seen it since at any shows or anything. I'm still perplexed.

·
Tractorholic
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have a Jake and a Ford. You just have to find an Oliver, MM, and hoo hooshutt!

·
Tractorholic
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't believe that the forum autocorrected "C0ckshutt!"
What the heck is a hoo hooshutt?

·
Tractorholic
4,070 Posts
LOL!!! I was wondering what you meant by that.That must be some new type of GT
Are those the GT's with the Owl as the emblem?

·
Tractorholic
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm trying to think of some good advertising slogans but I'm at a loss.

·
Tractorholic
4,070 Posts
Thats right folks if you want to know "Hoo" is the envy of the neighborhood. and "Hooshutt" the competition for the best manicured lawn.

Look no further than the person that owns the Hoo Hooshutt Garden Tractor with the 42" cutting deck

Comes standard with a Hooshuttle shifter and Hoo mungus rear tires.

So Hoory on down and get yours while supplies last

·
Tractorholic
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice! I "owlta" get me one of those. I'd really like one with the Raptor transmission and feather-touch hydro control though.

·
Tractorholic
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cockshutt! Cochshutt! Cockshutt! Thanks George!

·
Tractorholic
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That "h" was just a test

·
Tractorholic
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Talked to Dad again today and he said he stopped by to take a look at the Snapper. Told me it was a Magnum 18 horizontal shaft and it was a pretty good sized mower. Also said his cousin started it right up.I asked him what model it was and he said..."I didn't look." Argh! We'll see if he decides to keep it or sell it instead of sending it my way. He bought a new Craftsman so he doesn't need it. Hopefully now that it runs again he doesn't change his mind.

·
Tractorholic
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, it's snug at home in Dad's shed. His cousin rented a trailer and brought it out. Guess he couldn't wait to gt rid of it. Dad found the numbers on it - YT18H so I'll need to decide if I part it out or paint it up in Oliver green. Not a GT but it was free so I'm not complaining.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Any pics of the tractor? It's not a model that I'm familiar with. If you need a nice mower it might be worth keeping painted green or not!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts