Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is about the optional containment plate that comes with the grass catcher for the TS348XD tractor. The grass catcher had all sorts of extra parts after putting the grass catcher on and I was left wondering what these were. The containment plate is like an "after thought" for Husky. It had a very vague installment guide (one sheet) and refers user to the owner manual.

Tool Font Symbol Fashion accessory Number

Should you put in on? I mowed leaves with and without the plate. Yes, it is worth it to install. I am mainly using the catcher for fall leaves so when I took delivery this summer, I delayed installing this plate. In fact, I didn't even mount the $459 grass catcher - it stayed in the box through the summer.

During the last couple weeks I made a few "first" passes without the plate on but with the grass catcher to suck up leaves in my yard. With this configuration more leaves would be blown toward the front wheels. After install of the containment plate, the leaves were more likely to be "chopped up" and sent to the catcher.

The orientation of the plate is based on the "hangers" which go on the front-facing side of the mower deck. These two pieces are joined together with 4 bolts in the center, the fatter plate oriented toward the mower exit chute and the skinny plate on the other side. On the "non-chute" side the weld was in the way of the hanger where it clings as seen in the picture below. I was surprised this wasn't caught on quality control at the factory as this plate is an OEM accessory. The orientation of the plate is based on the "hangers" which go on the front-facing side of the mower deck where the 1/2 reinforcement "shelf" runs around the deck. These two pieces are joined together with 4 bolts in the center, the fatter plate oriented toward the mower exit chute and the skinny plate on the other side.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Wood Vehicle door

Notice the plate installs on the front of the deck as in this picture:

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Here is a picture of the under side, notice the black plate forms a shelf so that the leaves and grass are contained where the blade can take a could swats at it before it goes up the chute.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

I noticed with the plate on most of the leaves went into the grass catcher so it is definitely worth it to put on! One owner told me the plate getting caught on some higher areas of the lawn, so he had to take it off. I am mowing lots of hilly terrain on about a 1/2 acre and it worked wonderfully for me. Hope these photos helps somebody out there with the installation.

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,843 Posts
Without it especially if you are bagging or mulching it could blow grass and stuff out from under the front of the deck which will gather all over the top of the deck and back on top of the transmission.

Wish my Wheel Horse 416 deck had something like those. I just put a set of expencive Gator type OEM Toro Mulching blades on it and they help alot but it still blows grass,leaves and dirt and dust all over the top of the deck.

I adjusted the front of the deck so that it would lean slightly more downward in the front and it helps but not very much. My deck is supposed to be set 1/8" down in the front and I have it set to just over 1/4" lower. Any further than that and it will make circle shaped stripes in the lawn every time ya hit a bump. I like my grass nice and short 1" - 1 1/2" otherwise the weeds quickly take it over.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts