Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a chance to buy a all white gravely 408. Supposed to run and cut good. Has the 8hp original kohler on it and i think the original seat. I think I can get it for aroud $150. Anyone know anything about these things. We have a bolens, wheel horse, and a simplicity. Would be my first gravely. Thanks for any info.

Attachments

·
Village Idiot
1,239 Posts
An early Gravely foray into front engine placement. From what I've read they were targeting woman and lighter duty use. I do not have one, but I know quite a few folks that do, and they are very well regarded. Light for Gravely then is heavy today by most standards. They also came in Gravely red/white. As for the money, if the Kohler is in good running shape, and the deck is viable, the value at $150 is tough to ague with. Good luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok got it home. They guy took $100 bucks for it so i couldnt just leave it there. It does run and the deck is really solid. The only problem im having is the transaxle. It seems to have a bearing stuck. Any ideas on where to go on that? I am not for sure on what kind of transaxle/transmission it is, anyone know who made them? The tractor other than that is in good shape for its age but does me no good if i cant get it to move. Did find out on another gravely group that its a series 1 408 which is pretty rare so i dont mind sinking some money in it. Just need some ideas on where to find parts. Im going to break it down tonight and hopefully will have some more answers. Any help would be apprecitaed.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The Ariens made front engine riders Ellis is talking about were called GEMs, no idea what that means if anything.

I've owned two 408's, the first one I sold like a dope and just picked up my second one. Very nice and capable rider for it's size.

I look forward to seeing yours get the full treatment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.