Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Gravely Professional (800 Series)12G riding tractor.
The tractor starts right up, however, when you turn the switch off, the tractor remains running???
We replaced the switch and didn't resolve. Strange, when we disconnect the positive cable from the battery, the tractor continues to run.

Thank you for any ideas to help resolve?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you resolved the issue ? if not I would check the wires going to the points and condenser to see if the kill wire is even connected A wiring diagram would help for this.

Good luck

Sean

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, I checked the manual and in Section 6 (Problem Solving) it lists this as an issue. The possible cause listed says ground wire not connected or ignition switch failure. I replaced the ignition switch twice, still nothing. I replaced the negative battery cable, still nothing. Looking at the wiring diagram, it shows two wires coming out of the wiring harness also connected at the battery negative terminal. The wires connect with a ring quick crimp connect. I filed both the rings clean and didn't help. I'm wondering if I should try cutting the crimp connectors off and putting two new on.
I'm out of ideas. Anyone else every have this issue?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I know nothing about your particular tractor and so can not give specific help. The easy way to give me and others more information and make it more likely we can help is to post pictures of the tractor and specifically the engine/wiring.
Don

·
A Little Off Plumb
8,037 Posts
By the sounds of it the tractor engine is equipped with a magneto or electronic style ignition that is not connected to the battery to provide power and requires a wire connected to the ignition coil circuit be connected to ground to kill the spark so that the engine shuts off - just a logical assumption on my part so please verify if this is the case by viewing your wiring diagram.

If so there must be a wire that runs from the ignition coil to a terminal on the ignition switch for this purpose which you will have to identify and see which terminal it connects to on the ignition switch. Your next task will be to verify that the terminal on the ignition switch is electrically connected to ground when the key is in the off position - an ohm meter can be used to determine this. Disconnect the wiring plug or individual wires that connect to the other terminals (so you don't accidentally short something out) and make sure you know where they go so that you can connect them back up correctly after you test the switch terminal. With the key in the off position you can connect one lead of the ohmmeter to the terminal that should be grounded and the other lead of the ohm meter to a good ground point - you should get a 0 ohm reading on the meter to indicate continuity. If this test shows infinite or high resistance then the switch is either insulated from ground because it is the wrong switch (wired wrong internally), the switch is defective or the body of the switch is insulated somehow from where it would normally contact a ground connection (metal dash, ground wire, etc). If the terminal is grounded when the key switch is in the off position then I would suspect a broken or disconnected wire that runs from the terminal on the switch to the ignition coil.

As stated this is assuming that the engine is equipped with and electronic or magneto style ignition that is not connected to the battery to provide power to operate it. As stated the more information you can provide such as pictures and a copy of the wiring diagram will help others assist you with diagnosing and fixing the problem - hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts