Garden Tractor Forums banner

had a drill idea

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  chieffan 
#1 ·
last year striping scrap the cordless drills would not keep up & got frustrated so i went on a ramped moment & come up with this idea for a 12 Volt cordless drill fix

Automotive tire Bumper Wood Motor vehicle Tool
Gas Wood Machine Insect Metal
if any one does this as an idea always make sure to couple + to + from drill to battery as hooking up in negative polarity it wont work because of the circuit board inside

i just unscrewed the drill and opened it to couple the wires inside to the default battery posts in the drill

mine works fine for me but having such a long lead on mine it's a little slow but no more charging of batteries , a good car battery lasts a couple of days and some

Shane

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I have to say that's pretty darned clever of ya. How many people have thrown away a good cordless drill because the charger broke and you can't find a new one? I've tossed one myself, a Milwaukee no less. Fine tool just could no longer charge the batteries. Makes me wonder now if there's a way to hook up inside the battery to charge it instead. :good_job: :urock:

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
over time i have thrown out countless drills because of dead batteries & charges , had to have a better way

if you were to charge alternatively i would do it off a car battery so not to kill the batteries you are charging

most power pack charges are milliamp or just 1 or 2 amp charges overcharging you might kill the dry cell batteries

what you could do is pull the charger stand apart & remove the power supply & wire up 2 light grade leads with alligator clips on for battery hook up for charging ,

but be careful to make sure + to + all the way , use red & black markers on everything , most charger stands are marked + & -on the outa where the battery slides in to charge :thumbs:

Shane

#5 ·
hmmm so it would only 3/4 charge it , not enough ! Kenny hook up 2 x 12 v batteries in series to make 34 V & use a bit longer wiring to bleed back to 20 volts will work to charge , remembering the longer the DC cables the more voltage you lose pretty quick i might add

most 18 V charges aren 20 Volts anyways

Shane

#6 ·
I have 2 laying around, a 12volt and a 14.4. I keep them because I figure they could be used on an attachment, for instance you could gear one up to turn a snowblower chute. They are geared down pretty low on a 2 speed type drill and have enough torque to do some work.

Reactions: holdenboy1960
#7 ·
I have taken 18v cordless and hot wired them to 12 v.
Before the proliferation of cordless drills, we Used to carry one in the truck tool box with a heavy gauge wire and a lighter plug on it.
With the lighter plug, we could even run it off the jump pack

Used it more than once. It paid for itself every time and if had ever gotten stolen... Oh well.

#8 ·
I have 2 laying around, a 12volt and a 14.4. I keep them because I figure they could be used on an attachment, for instance you could gear one up to turn a snowblower chute. They are geared down pretty low on a 2 speed type drill and have enough torque to do some work.
I've thought about that and can't come up with a decent packaging.

#9 ·
I've thought about that and can't come up with a decent packaging.
Yeh, that's the hard part. I have a 14.4 Dewalt that is really compact and perhaps could be bolted/clamped into a steel box. I haven't gotten to the point of actually designing something. I actually have an Ariens walk behind with a 12v battery on it.(12V electric start). It's a project on the list but who knows if I'lll ever get to it. I also have a JD 49 blower for the GTs that is a candidate.

#10 ·
Can also take the battery pack apart and remove the dry cells. Connect your 12 V battery wires directly to the battery pack. Cleaner look and balance that way. Your power source can be a battery charger also set on 10 A charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.