Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Bolens 1053 - 1970?
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Germany

My name is Christoph, born and raised up in Germany where I still live.
I am not a native English speaker but I do my best to avoid misunderstandings.
I own a lawn tractor, a Yardman "but its an MTD". Its not heavy duty and not really a tractor.
So I was looking for a "real" tractor.
First I wanted to buy a Gutbrod 1031/1032/1050 but they are pretty expensive and a bit too much for my use.
So yesterday I found a Bohlens 1053, not far away from here - for cheap...
So I ended up bying a wrack of a tractor which is as old as I am.

I want to get it run first and start a restauration - will see how far I get.

For sure I will need y'all experience and help :)

Greetings from Germany,
Christoph

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Hello Christoph!
Congratulations on getting a Bolens.
Did you get any attachments with it?
A 1053 is referred to as a tube frame.
Most other tube frame attachments and parts will fit.
The engine should be a Wisconsin.
Often if it’s been sitting it will have a stuck valve.
In Great Britain they were imported by a company called Howard. So, many people over there call them Howard’s.

That’s a good solid tractor!

Joe

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,483 Posts
Hi Christoph - welcome to the forum. Looks like you have a bit of work ahead of you with your new to you tractor. Still in better shape than the 1053 I returned to service a few years ago - this thread may help you if you have some questions about your tractor. Bolens 1053 Return to Service Project

You can find a parts list on the site - 1053 Illustrated Parts Catalog Cleaned Up
Here is a link to the repair manual that is loaded on the site for the tube frame tractors - Bolens Tube Frame Service Manual Updated Nov 2020

There was no owners manual for the 1053 loaded on the site so I created one and you can find a copy at this link - Bolens 1053 Owner And Operator Manual

Hope these links help you out and if you have any questions feel free to post them in the Bolens section of the forum as there are many knowledgeable Bolens members on the site.

·
Registered
Bolens 1053 - 1970?
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello and thanks for the warm welcome,

To answer some questions:
The tractor came with a mower deck - which is pretty rotten and some parts missing, like the drive shaft to the PTO. So my plan is to get the tractor running first and than see, if the deck can be restored. I would like to have a tiller, maybe a snow shield and a sweeping device for the front but these attachements are very rare and I guess I have to adapt something - but as mentioned: Tractor first.
It was sold as an Agria tractor. Looks like Agria (a German tractor brand) imported these Bolens like Howard in Britain. But I think because of the metric vs imperial screws and dimensions these Bolens were not very popular here.
The tractor is in a bad shape - but it seems that the most important parts are there including the belts (which are probably old and not for use but good to take the dimensions).
Some smaler parts are missing - like the air filter. Exhaust is very rusty and even not the original one, clutch pedal is wobbeling around and dosn'twork at all...
But all the shifters work so I hope the gearbox is OK.

The last days I tried to find as much information as possible about the Bolens 1053. 29 Chev - I already found your manual and it really helped me a lot! Thanks for all the other links too!!
At the moment the budget is tight - living costs are increasing dramatically here so I have to do the restauration little by little. Still have to decide if I just repair it and conserve the "patina" rat rod look - or ripping it all appart for a propper paint job. I guess it will become more clear when I start repairing it.

First step will be to order new tires. The old ones are brittle and the left rear one has a big tear. For sure - the tires are the easiest fix but its much easier to push the tractor around when it has good tires. Than I want to check and change the oil in gearbox and engine - I hope it runs. Anyway it will increase the list of what to do.

What do you suggest:
Start a restauration thread (which is interesting to read and covers all) or ask one question after another so the different toppics are easier to find for other readers with the same issue?

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,483 Posts
What do you suggest:
Start a restauration thread (which is interesting to read and covers all) or ask one question after another so the different toppics are easier to find for other readers with the same issue?
My suggestion would be to start a restoration thread in the Bolens section and post your progress and any questions you have in it and that way all the information will be in one thread which will make it easier for other members to follow and answer your questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts