Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
tinkerer
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was in a box of tools that my son picked up at an auction and we have no idea of what it was used for.

I did some internet searching for " Merrill Bros. " tools and found that they made several different designs of clamps for lifting metal sheets.
I did not come across anything that looked like this tool.

Overall tool
SAM_1183_zpscvdhmqgn.jpg

Back side
SAM_1184_zpseob5oyjk.jpg

Front side

SAM_1185_zpsqweesksi.jpg

SAM_1186_zpscwi8fz6c.jpg

Open

SAM_1187_zpsqzmmnapk.jpg

Closed

SAM_1188_zpsptk8o3gp.jpg

Writing on the tool

SAM_1189_zps0vvwiukm.jpg

SAM_1190_zpswoythu4z.jpg

·
Homelite Owner Extraordinaire
3,174 Posts
Did a little Google research and found they only have one patent applied for. It was foe a steel plate lifter. Looks like this could also be for the forging or blacksmithing industry. Hope this wets your appetite to find our more. Thanks for sharing. Roger

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
Did a little Google research and found they only have one patent applied for. It was foe a steel plate lifter. Looks like this could also be for the forging or blacksmithing industry. Hope this wets your appetite to find our more. Thanks for sharing. Roger
That could be it. When I worked in the factory stacks of sheet steel came in in bundles and the oil between the sheets would make it difficult to separate and move to the shear.
A scissor like tool that would slip a blade between the sheets would be a big help.

·
tinkerer
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a Doo-Hickey
It certainly is and I know for a fact if you use this in one hand and a thing-ah-ma-jig in the other hand, you can open a what-cha-ma-call-it.

·
tinkerer
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Super Moderator
5,803 Posts
I cant see the photos for some reason..it says "Photo not found"
That's what happens when the photos get linked to photobucket and then deleted from there. That is why we encourage people to post the pics straight to the site so they are not lost and here for reference.

·
Super Moderator
55,278 Posts
Yep! Any changes made at Photobucket make the pics disappear and the thread is useless!

·
Super Moderator
55,278 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.