Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In preparation for the 2x2x6' concrete blocks that will start being delivered tomorrow, I am using my Massey 1855 (1655 repowered to 18hp) to grade the dirt alongside the concrete floor of the silage pit of our dairy. This little unit is priceless for many jobs on our farm. I've moved about a yard of dirt so far, which took a little while as I'm mostly scraping a thin layer at a time, except where there were much higher spots. When I get back to it, I'll take some pics if the camera lens doesn't fog. I need to take the camera to my shop in advance so it can acclimate. Humidity is terrible. Dewpoint is 76 and heat index already at 100. Gonna be a hot one. Will be finishing hauling manure this afternoon.

·
4,482 Posts
Bet you are enjoying the seat time even with the heat.
Looking forward to the pics.

·
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ducky said:
Bet you are enjoying the seat time even with the heat.
Looking forward to the pics.
Actually, I am! Sweating like an open water hose, but love it anyway! Gonna sit my camera on my enclosed back porch so it'll be ready.

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
Gonna be hot here too Daniel. Take care in the heat. I too am looking forward to your pics. Glad you are enjoying the seat time.

·
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the guy doing the hauling of the huge blocks is a logger & it's just gotten too hot after lunch for him to be in the woods. So he hauled a load of 14 blocks today. Likely 28 tomorrow & 28 again Friday. We'll start setting them in place tomorrow. I didn't think I'd have enough rear end ballast, but I got em unloaded!:bigrofl:

Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

This is where I'm using the Massey's FEL to put a slight back-slope to the dirt to set a slight angle to the block wall. Just need a slight angle, then as we set layers, we'll backfill with dirt.

Bedrock Slope Composite material Beige Geology

Here's the rest of the 14 blocks, stacked in the other empty pit.
Sky Bedrock Slope Composite material Landscape

The heat index is expected to top 112F tomorrow, some say higher even, so not sure how long we'll work at it. The bottom runs are the only ones that will take a lot of time. If they aren't set right, it would be a disaster & look/be a mess. Hope it goes well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
54,480 Posts
Glad to see this project starting. If you can, get a pic of the 1855 toting one of the blocks around, preferably with air below the block.:bigrofl:

·
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pay no attention to that Cat payloader in the background of that first pic....it had nothing to do with this job! Oh well, guess I better come clean, I didn't lift the blocks with the Massey. :rolling::rofl2:
But the Massey did do a lot of dirt moving, and more to do tomorrow before we set blocks.
My neighbor just came over an hour ago & asked if I still had my little loader, as he had some gravel to smooth & some to move inside his woodshed he built. So I went over & got that done with the Massey too. Nice to get some GT seat time. Been quite a while!

·
Super Moderator
54,480 Posts
Darn, I wanted to see it work. LOL Thought you would pick one up with the payloader and set the Massey there like it was doing it.

·
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KennyP said:
Darn, I wanted to see it work. LOL Thought you would pick one up with the payloader and set the Massey there like it was doing it.
I would have went to more trouble to spoof a lift, but it's just way too hot & I'm way too tired. I drove the Massey back down BEFORE doing the feeding, as I knew if I waited, I'd be wasted from the heat. So I took the pics 1st, then fed.
In all seriousness though, these little loaders are awesome for many jobs!

·
Super Moderator
54,480 Posts
OH well, maybe next time. Enjoy the cool and relax a while. I'm sure you need it.

·
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mac102004 said:
Isn't is kind of late in the year for a project like that? Seems like more of a spring project. :confuse:
You can't redo a silage pit when it has silage in it! Whenever it's empty, that's when it's time! Both our large pits were filled at the same time, and the other one is still 1/2 full. Next year if we can afford, it'll be the other pit to get this treatment. It's the smaller pit we'll be doing this Fall & Winter. We'll have way too many other things needing done come Spring.

·
Tractorholic
626 Posts
"olcowhand said:
You can't redo a silage pit when it has silage in it! Whenever it's empty, that's when it's time! Both our large pits were filled at the same time, and the other one is still 1/2 full. Next year if we can afford, it'll be the other pit to get this treatment. It's the smaller pit we'll be doing this Fall & Winter. We'll have way too many other things needing done come Spring.
LOL, I know up here, everybody including ourselves has at least first cut done, so it would have been refilled by now. I can't say I know much of anything about silage bunks/pits anyway, we have tower silo's.
I find it easier to get things done in early spring than summer. It seems you just get your first cut of silage done and then your on to hay, then 2nd cut silage.

·
4,482 Posts
mac102004 said:
LOL, I know up here, everybody including ourselves has at least first cut done, so it would have been refilled by now. I can't say I know much of anything about silage bunks/pits anyway, we have tower silo's.
I find it easier to get things done in early spring than summer. It seems you just get your first cut of silage done and then your on to hay, then 2nd cut silage.
Curious, What are you cutting for silage? Hay would be Grass and/or alfalfa. Do you cut Winter wheat as silage? It is done in Kansas where they can not grow alfalfa.

·
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mac102004 said:
These 2 larger pits are always filled with corn silage, and we're about a month from chopping. The 3rd smaller pit, that we're redoing this fall/winter normally has haylage in it. We're rolling ALL our hay this year so we can rebuild that pit. We've already got our 3rd cutting of alfalfa/orchard grass. It's been an incredible hay year for us. We could have started on this pit earlier in the spring of this year, but my Dad had hip replacement in January, then bladder cancer surgery in March. Not been a great year. My Son's wife also took off in late March, so I've been the only one going at 100% for quite some time, then recently I dropped to 60 to 70% with health issues. I'm back to 100% now. Much of my problems may have been due to stress.

·
32,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ducky, we used to chop winter wheat, but finally talked Dad out of it. The cows don't eat it well, and the milk drops whenever we fed it. The alfalfa/orchard grass mix they like, and it added to the corn silage brings up the fiber content. You'd think corn silage had plenty of fiber! LOL We usually add about 15% haylage/85% corn silage, then add the supplements.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts