Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all, I'm from Central Texas (Hamilton) and new to this Hobby. I just happened upon what I think is about a 1962 Garden Mark Squire. This little tractor being a year older than myself has about the same issues as I do. The sheet metal is kind of rough but I think everything is here but the starter/generator. I was told it last ran in the 1980's and has been sitting in a pasture for the last ten years. Hard to believe but the motor will spin over by hand and the shifter kind of clicks into each gear. It all seems pretty tight to be left out so long. My goal is to get her running and use it to plow up my garden. I don't think it will ever win any beauty contest, but i will straighten it up best i can and paint it. Should be slow going but fun. Plant Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
891 Posts
Welcome Quigg, I can't tell you much about your machine but it looks like it held up very well for sitting out in the weather. Have fun and enjoy our group and someone should be along shortly to offer some real help.

Jack..

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
:welcome: to GTTalk,
Lots of diamond polishing there but it's a real worker when you get it going.

Unless I a mistaken, that would have a 90* gearbox just under the fenders that tended to be a little bit of a weak spot... Not due to design, just because no one ever thinks to check or change the oil and the bevel gears wear.

Just giving you a heads up on things to check when you go back to look again.

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
Welcome to GTtalk, Looks like you have a nice project there. I'll be looking forward to your progress with it and how it all turns out.

Reactions: Quigg

·
Super Moderator
55,272 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Looks like a nice project tractor!

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
Welcome to GTTalk! It looks like you've already started the addiction with a great rescue. I look forward to watching it progress to the point where you get that first ride!

Ben W.

·
Live long and prosper
6,794 Posts
Welcome Quigg. Thanks for posting that picture. I'm glad you joined.

·
621 Posts
Hi Quigg - welcome to gttalk.

Looking at the picture. You said you thought it was about 1962. I'm guessing 1963, but hopefully a Simplicity expert will shed more light.

I believe the bend in the gear shift lever and the higher steering wheel height suggests that it's a 1963.

(not that 1 year makes any difference - IMHO it's nice to be accurate if you decide to take it to a show)

As mentioned, one thing to look for is the play in the bevel gear box (BGB). there's a shaft from the motor that goes to the box. Lift up the front of the seat and the gear box is at the narrowest part of the body. Reach in the front of the BGB from behind the motor with one arm/hand, then "wiggle" the shaft that goes to the belt drive with the other. Really good is little to no play.

It has the hitch on the back. See if the seller has any implements.

I see the original badges is on the hood - which is great.

The briggs motor might not run without some "love". You man need to do spend some quality time with it to figure things out.

Before you try to start it, I recommend puling the air breather and carb. and make sure there isn't rust or any other contaminants that will destroy the engine. If you haven't rebuilt a flo-jet carb, there are some things you need to know. Come back and ask.

The first question you need to figure out is - why did they park it?

The starter/generator is gone. Could be something encouraging like it stopped charging. Pulled the generator, got a ridiculous price to fix it and decided it was time to replace the tractor. In the 80s it was an old tractor. 30 years later it's an antique.

That piece of iron and many precision inter-connected parts is a half-century old. It's been sitting for 30 years. It's going to take time to reverse the clock, but is worth the effort.

One last thing. To know more about that tractor (also known as a Simplicity 725), check out an extensive series of youtube videos from Zippo Varga. They are really, really useful. He covers a lot of topics.

·
Premium Member
15,608 Posts
Quigg, First off Welcome to GTtalk, glad to have another TEXAN here. I see that you are just a little ways west of Waco and West TX..

I am doing research on the M/W history and have a lot of info on them if that will help, mostly catalogs from that era. The good thing is that you can find parts for this GT because of it being a Simplicity. I'm sure the tire can't be saved, but man it would be cool if they are, those turfs are impossible to find. I am trying to find a 62 or 63 Sim. built M/W GT, I have a 63 built Bolens and a Springfield built in 64 or 65 and a 69 or 70 Gilson built M/W tractor. Also a few 2 wheel tractors.

Can't wait to see how this goes, Good Luck and I'll be wacthing !!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone, I've got the deck and sheet metal off. The gas tank is junk and the little tie rod end on the arm at the bottom of the steering shaft is broken. It was put together with a hose clamp.
Motobreeder, I checked the BGB and it has no side to side play and about 1/16" play as the pulley runs. Seems tight. I do need any info on the flow jet carb, just ordered a kit off eBay .
And yes I've been watching Zippo Varga's videos that guy knows his stuff!
Thanks again to everyone!

·
621 Posts
For the flo-jet carb, here's my favourite site.

Before splitting the bowel (picture #10), pay close attention to picture #4.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_medium_two_piece.asp

The emulsion tube extends across the two halves and can be damaged if it's not removed first.

To remove the emulsion tube, make sure you use a screw driver that fits really well. I have a 1/4" drive standard bit that fits perfectly. Also, put some lube in there so that it doesn't bind up on some old rust or dirt.

·
Tractorholic
2,177 Posts
Hi y'all, I'm from Central Texas (Hamilton) and new to this Hobby. I just happened upon what I think is about a 1962 Garden Mark Squire. This little tractor being a year older than myself has about the same issues as I do. The sheet metal is kind of rough but I think everything is here but the starter/generator. I was told it last ran in the 1980's and has been sitting in a pasture for the last ten years. Hard to believe but the motor will spin over by hand and the shifter kind of clicks into each gear. It all seems pretty tight to be left out so long. My goal is to get her running and use it to plow up my garden. I don't think it will ever win any beauty contest, but i will straighten it up best i can and paint it. Should be slow going but fun.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
It's amazing how durable those old tractors can be. i've come across Cub Cadets and Sears tractors from the same era that had just sat, patiently waiting for someone to come along and take an interest in them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.