Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just had architectural shingles put on my Aframe 3 weeks ago. From the beginning, I thought it looked sloppy and was not happy with a lot of details but let it alone thinking I'm just too picky. I had the old roof removed and new plywood and shingles put on for 10,000. 3 weeks later a have a puddle of water on my kitchen floor. One of the valleys is leaking. They did a California cut valley with no flashing just some kind of thick black rubber-feeling stuff down the length. I called the contractor he sent 2 guys 2 put solar seal caulking under the shingles and a thick glob of it the whole way down the valley shingle line which looks awful. It's black caulking with leaves and pine needles stuck in it on my new brown roof, to me this doesn't seem like a solution that will last too long. Should a new roof need caulking? and there are also a lot of shingles that r not laying down they r actually buckling up a little. He said he would put tar under them but he did not. Just trying to get a little input on if I need something redone. I'm fearing that the caulking will only hold up long enough 4 me to not b able to get some kind of money back or the work done right.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi, I just had architectural shingles put on my Aframe 3 weeks ago. From the beginning, I thought it looked sloppy and was not happy with a lot of details but let it alone thinking I'm just too picky. I had the old roof removed and new plywood and shingles put on for 10,000. 3 weeks later a have a puddle of water on my kitchen floor. One of the valleys is leaking. They did a California cut valley with no flashing just some kind of thick black rubber-feeling stuff down the length. I called the contractor he sent 2 guys 2 put solar seal caulking under the shingles and a thick glob of it the whole way down the valley shingle line which looks awful. It's black caulking with leaves and pine needles stuck in it on my new brown roof, to me this doesn't seem like a solution that will last too long. Should a new roof need caulking? and there are also a lot of shingles that r not laying down they r actually buckling up a little. He said he would put tar under them but he did not. Just trying to get a little input on if I need something redone. I'm fearing that the caulking will only hold up long enough 4 me to not b able to get some kind of money back or the work done right.
roofing arlington va
Sorry for so long please help.

· Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to say it but it sounds to me like you need a lawyer and a new roofer. You noticed that it was sloppy looking and you were not happy with the details right off the bat. New shingles don't need to be tarred down and you should not accept wads of caulking with leaves and needles stuck in it on a brand new roof. Talk to a lawyer. I don't think that you will be satisfied with anything that this roofer does to fix it.

· Super Moderator
55,876 Posts
Sorry to say it but it sounds to me like you need a lawyer and a new roofer. You noticed that it was sloppy looking and you were not happy with the details right off the bat. New shingles don't need to be tarred down and you should not accept wads of caulking with leaves and needles stuck in it on a brand new roof. Talk to a lawyer. I don't think that you will be satisfied with anything that this roofer does to fix it.
I agree!

· Fixer of Broken junk
5,204 Posts
Someone doesn't know how to put a roof on. Flashing and Ice and water shield and caulking will do nothing if the shingles are not installed correctly.

That is really rough to deal with a contractor that "fixes" crap like that. Best thing to do is to eat the cost of having a Reputable and fully insured contractor come in and re-shingle the valleys. Have him go up and take pictures or video of what needs replaced.

If you think it is worth the hassle, File legal actions with the pics and repair bill in hand as proof. You can file for reimbursement of court charges and repairs in civil court but it takes time and money.

Get your roof fixed before it causes other problems such as rot and mold which can be very costly to take care of. Mold caused by a roof leak can cause serious health problems.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone doesn't know how to put a roof on. Flashing and Ice and water shield and caulking will do nothing if the shingles are not installed correctly.

That is really rough to deal with a contractor that "fixes" crap like that. Best thing to do is to eat the cost of having a Reputable and fully insured contractor come in and re-shingle the valleys. Have him go up and take pictures or video of what needs replaced.

If you think it is worth the hassle, File legal actions with the pics and repair bill in hand as proof. You can file for reimbursement of court charges and repairs in civil court but it takes time and money.

Get your roof fixed before it causes other problems such as rot and mold which can be very costly to take care of roofing contractor arlington va. Mold caused by a roof leak can cause serious health problems.
thank you so much for your suggestion

1 - 7 of 7 Posts