Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for the dimensions for the lift arm for the sleeve hitch on a Massey Ferguson 12 hydro. It is different form the lift arm on the Massey 10's. It has a bend in it to go over the hydro transmission.

Clay

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Looking through a MF brochure, I noticed that angle iron over the pin.

I've never seen that anywhere before. Does anyone actually have that?

attachicon.gif
sleeve hitch plate.JPG
I'm going to be making a sleeve hitch this week and have been thinking there needed to be something like that. My implements are too narrow for the bolts to make contact, so I've been shoveing a flat crowbar between to tighten them up.

Reactions: tractorgarden

·
Super Moderator
54,332 Posts
I have 1 that is original and a 2nd that I made from a piece of angle iron.
I made 1 so far. I have some 12 gauge sheet (.100" thick) that I plan to make a couple more from.

I use a hole saw to make the hole just bigger than the tube, Will.

Reactions: IamSherwood

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Has anyone else ever had problems with their hitch twisting? We made one for Ryan and periodically have to bend it back into shape because the the center arm bends up with the weight of the plow and a good bump or two.

The metal is the right thickness, it just sags eventually and his plow drags when "up"
Lots of divots.

We made some changes this winter so I hope it fixes the problem, but it no longer looks OEM.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
You are bending what appears to be 7/16 thick steel? WOW!! I' surprised the rod from the rear rock shaft to the hand lever isn't bending out straight first!

·
Tractorholic
427 Posts
Has anyone else ever had problems with their hitch twisting? We made one for Ryan and periodically have to bend it back into shape because the the center arm bends up with the weight of the plow and a good bump or two.

The metal is the right thickness, it just sags eventually and his plow drags when "up"
Lots of divots.

We made some changes this winter so I hope it fixes the problem, but it no longer looks OEM.
I used 2' x 1/2" for my hitch and after a lot of heavy use and abuse it hasn't flexed a bit. The original hitch I have is just a whisker over 7/16" thick and 2 1/4" wide. Maximum width for my bender is 2" so I decided to go with 1/2" thick, which more than makes up for being slightly narrower. I have a heavy 4ft "YORK" brand york rake that I have converted to sleeve hitch, it takes two hands on the lift lever to lift it. I have used it a lot and the sleeve hitch has held great. I do need to redo the hitch on the rake, it is cracking. Bending the material to make the hitch can be a real P.I.T.A. I just did 4 of them last night, 3 came out nice.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Looking through a MF brochure, I noticed that angle iron over the pin.

I've never seen that anywhere before. Does anyone actually have that?

attachicon.gif
sleeve hitch plate.JPG
Pictures of an original sleeve hitch L bracket.

Brown Wood Tape measure Ruler Gas Ruler Tape measure Office ruler Wood Rectangle

Tape measure Ruler Wood Office ruler Finger Brown Wood Varnish Hardwood Door

3/16" thick, 1-5/8" hole

I made a copy of this using a piece of 2" angle iron, 1/8" thick, with a 1-3/16 hole, works OK.

Wood Rectangle Hardwood Circle Wood stain

I believe the purpose of this part is to give the 2 adjusting bolts a flat solid surface to hit as you can see.

Rectangle Wood Wood stain Brick Hardwood

I know my 10" Brinly sleeve hitch plow, 1 of the adjuster bolts will hit the end edge of the plow and the it will dig into the end of the bolt if the bracket is not used.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts