Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Welcome to GT Talk :)

I'm not into Economy's so I'm not much help with color, sorry. I am how ever pretty good at painting.

I prefer to strip every thing down to bare metal when repainting. Sand blast, sand, wire brush on a drill, what ever works best for you. Get rid of the old paint and any rust.

Your first product over the bare metal should be a self etching primer, This will eat into the metal and give your primer something to stick to.
Follow this with a regular primer. I use some type of sand-able filler primer on the sheet metal, this allows me to wet sand with 400 grit to get rid of any imperfections before painting. All other parts can be scuffed with Scotchbrite before painting. Note: Paint will not stick to a smooth surface, you must scuff your dry primer before applying paint.
After scuffing your primer, clean everything with a Prepsol, then wipe it down with a tack cloth just before painting.

I like to paint with acrylic enamel using a spray gun but there are many products out there. Find the paint that works best for you and your situation. Try to stick with one brand of primer and paint from start to finish.

This company has very good products and they are really into tractors. They might be able to help you out with the color that you need.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to GT Talk :)

I'm not into Economy's so I'm not much help with color, sorry. I am how ever pretty good at painting.

I prefer to strip every thing down to bare metal when repainting. Sand blast, sand, wire brush on a drill, what ever works best for you. Get rid of the old paint and any rust.

Your first product over the bare metal should be a self etching primer, This will eat into the metal and give your primer something to stick to.
Follow this with a regular primer. I use some type of sand-able filler primer on the sheet metal, this allows me to wet sand with 400 grit to get rid of any imperfections before painting. All other parts can be scuffed with Scotchbrite before painting. Note: Paint will not stick to a smooth surface, you must scuff your dry primer before applying paint.
After scuffing your primer, clean everything with a Prepsol, then wipe it down with a tack cloth just before painting.

I like to paint with acrylic enamel using a spray gun but there are many products out there. Find the paint that works best for you and your situation. Try to stick with one brand of primer and paint from start to finish.

This company has very good products and they are really into tractors. They might be able to help you out with the color that you need.

Can you send a pic of your tractor. I like your steps and products to repaint my economy mini tractor. Do you roll, brush or aerosol spray you. Thanks mike text to 270-866-0646 or [email protected]

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thanks for the complements guys. :)

@jhn9840 I built my Raider 12 with one purpose in mind, to pull that plow that is hanging off the back of it. The addition of hydraulic lift was also part of the resto. It is a very good plow mule. So far I have about 70hrs on the clock after the full restoration, most of which is pulling that plow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts