Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
55,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aaron just came up and woke me. Asked why the Toro was running! WTF?????? Sure enough, it sat out there idling. All I can figure is the showers shorted the switch and started it up. This is the Mitsubishi K3D. I had to reach down and hold the kill solenoid in to kill it. Got some wrenches out and unhooked the battery. But, still need to figure out how it could have energized the fuel pump and starter. Had to be the ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
Um..........

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
I had a tractor that was brand new. Every time it rained, the battery would go dead. We couldn't figure it out until I drove by one time by accident during a rainstorm and saw all the headlights were on. Water had snuck into the light switch.

Ben W.

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Wow, sounds like a Gremlin. This might be really tough to track down.
Might be a good idea to put a fast disconnect on there and do it every time.
With a problem like that, you really want to watch working in it. Have your fingers in there and the starter kicks over... Shudder... Just be careful.
Two things: was the key in it and is there a seat switch?

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
If you have a diagram it should be easier to find the culprit. Thats another safety feature of having an interlock switch of some sort in series with the ignition switch. It sounds like it could be the ignition switch but also could be a short in the wiring of the start circuit. It's also odd because start and run are 2 different contacts on the switch. Was the starter still engaged? Ghost rider? A haunted Toro!!

·
Super Moderator
55,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is hard to figure is the fuel pump has to run for it to start as the tank is under the seat. Also the seat was leaned up onto the steering wheel. So the switch had to short to start. Key was in the off position. The shut-off solenoid will shut fuel flow off, but resets to start position after a few seconds. I have work today so will see if I can figure something out this evening if it isn't raining again. The battery is disconnected, so it can't run away from home.

·
Super Moderator
55,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, sounds like a Gremlin. This might be really tough to track down.
Might be a good idea to put a fast disconnect on there and do it every time.
With a problem like that, you really want to watch working in it. Have your fingers in there and the starter kicks over... Shudder... Just be careful.
Two things: was the key in it and is there a seat switch?
Seat switch isn't hooked up. I'll be looking into that! Gotta make sure the switch works first!

·
Super Moderator
55,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That sure would be strange to find my mower running like that!
My biggest issue is that it always takes a bit of cranking and glow plug to start it. How it did that on it's own baffles me!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.