Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm doing an engine transplant on a GT19 whose right side rod decided it wanted to leave.
Replacement engine is an M18.
Problem is the 18 has an oil filter that the 19 didn't.
There is a frame stiffeners/gusset exactly in the way of the filter.
I tried setting this engine down in this tractor, back when I originally only thought the KT19 was dead, going by info from the PO. Turns out it wasn't done (yet)
well I got that original engine running, and subsequently proved the claims that the Type 1 KTs don't like side hills.
The 2nd time I mowed the ditches at my storage barn with this machine, , the right rod left the building shortly later. I'll leave the side hills to be mowed with my single cylinder Kohler powered machines from now on I guess.

I saw a gt18 a couple months ago that had an M18 in it from new, with the oil filter on it.
I looked and saw the stiffener/gusset extended farther towards the front, on the right side of the frame. But dummy me I didn't measure it or even snap a pic. There's 3 holes on the side of the frame ahead of the gusset, that I don't know the purpose of. Nor what capabilities I may be taking away from this machine if I cover them up or extend the gusset too far forward. Can one of you guys with a GT18 check this for me so I don't have to screw up my back, by lifting the new engine in and out more than once? (Trying to add pix of what I am talking about)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had set this engine into this frame a few years ago and that gusset is exactly in the filter's way. I smashed the filter by setting it down in there. I did since buy a remote mount and line set via eBay shortly after that in anticipation of this eventual swap, but the gt18 I sorta recently seen didn't have any remote mount, just had that gusset extended further forward. I plan on welding the cut off part back on and adding a "filler" to bridge the gap, I don't want to chance twisting the frame or cracking it by leaving it out. Especially as I see how much the frame on my other GT19 twists when I have the snow blower on that one, when I raise the blower. And it has all it's gussets. (No oil filter on that one either/yet anyway)

·
Super Moderator
55,486 Posts
Never had an Ariens so I'm no help. Don't see them down here. But I don't see anything wrong with the modification. Any way you could make the upward bend tighter to miss those holes?

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The modification I'm making is to copy how the gt18 that came with a filter equipped engine from the factory that I recently saw, was made. That's why I thought maybe someone here that has a gt18 might be able to measure it on theirs and/or take a pic of that spot on theirs so I could judge.

·
Super Moderator
55,486 Posts
The modification I'm making is to copy how the gt18 that came with a filter equipped engine from the factory that I recently saw, was made. That's why I thought maybe someone here that has a gt18 might be able to measure it on theirs and/or take a pic of that spot on theirs so I could judge.
Well, if you don't get that feedback, look at what I threw out there.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not seeing it, Kenny.
It'll probably come down to me wrecking my back setting the replacement down in there to see if I have cut out enough to make the room I need, then again to lift it outta there so I can weld it up. And again when I actually get to bolt it in for good.

·
Super Moderator
55,486 Posts
Hard to explain. In the last pic of post #1, I see possibly 1 hole above the piece in the vise-grips. If you could bend that end up more to be above/behind that hole, then you leave that set of holes open for whatever their purpose. Maybe this will help:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Bumper Wood

Reactions: dodge trucker

·
Registered
76 Posts
931033 gt18s are the same as 20s. The kt should plug and play with Magnum motors after the frame mod. I sent u my number in the pm. Reach out to me if you need more.

Attachments

Reactions: dodge trucker

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hard to explain. In the last pic of post #1, I see possibly 1 hole above the piece in the vise-grips. If you could bend that end up more to be above/behind that hole, then you leave that set of holes open for whatever their purpose. Maybe this will help:
View attachment 414446
It's welded up, and I wound up with the upward curved gusset only slightly behind where you showed in red. I wound up setting that motor down in the hole to check my cutouts and heave it back out by myself, which was what I was hoping to avoid by asking. Now to finish swapping parts like the PTO clutch, power wash the frame while the engine is out, and put it all back together. Thanks guys for the pictures and comments.
I ended up moving that curved-upward portion 2-1/2" forward and welded in a plate, to make up the gap that I created.

·
Fixer of Broken junk
5,043 Posts
Yep and I would have done what you did instead of spending this kind of money. New Kohler OEM Remote Oil Filter Kit 2470202 2470202-S | eBay

Seen more than a few of those kits that leaked like heck. My hoses were dry rotted and seeping so I cut them off and clamped new hoses to the barbs with small radiator clamps. It's kinda hard to find quality 1/2" id hose without going to some place that does Hydraulic hoses. Luckily our local Ace Hardware has hose by the foot and I was able to find some decent oil resistant hose that fit.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey equipment guy,
Just wondering what part of the world you're located in?
As it turns out overall that machine isn't worth the new motor I have here that I was gonna put in it, so I pretty much gutted it. I still have the intact frame, in case I decide later to build one, but right now I really don't need the machine, and have too many projects 1/2 done that are more important for me to finish. From the thin rotted fender pan, to finding the reason that the PTO clutch was flaky and only worked part of the time(epoxy gone and windings grounding out) to the completely worn out shift linkage,and the "shot" steering column with stripped out threads for the adjuster it just needed too much for me to get into right now. So it's good parts (many of which are good by virtue of knowing that I replaced those during my ownership) will live on in my other Ariens machines.
Not to mention I just acquired another in overall better shape in the days since I decided to stick the fork in that one. (And no, I wasn't actively looking for another tractor) they never exist at least not for decent money when a person is looking/ "in need of")

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I was actually scouting epay looking for some shifter parts (are they bushed? I don't know) for the machine that I modified the frame on, to allow room for access to that oil filter/ and tripped over an auction for a complete running tractor that needed a little bit of TLC.
No reserve sale, and I bid what I thought was pretty cheap, and got it way cheaper than I bid. Nobody else bid against me. There isn't a clip, a nut, a bolt listed on epay (for these machines) that costs as little as I paid for this whole machine. And I started it and drove it on e trailer.
I got a GT16 with a good solid deck and a snow blade for about the price of a candy bar at the gas station.
Though I had to drive 340 mile round trip or so to get it on the far other side of Illinois to get it..... Close enough to Iowa to make it worth going across the border for sub $4 gas..,. but it's a better machine, don't think it spent as much time sitting outside as the one that I gutted out over the years, and just feels much more solid.
So even gutting out the gt19, that still has me at 4 of these machines.
Next is to get my other GT16 back home and get the bugs out of it before the gt19 carcass hits the scales.
That leaves me with 2 snow blades now too.....

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it runs pretty good too/
I transferred all the wiring, switches, HD truck starter solenoid from the gt19 and a carb I took off of a recently blown up K301 I have, (that hasn't sat long enough for today's gas to have it's effects) and bolted that on and this one actually runs pretty well.
I know the 301 carb is smaller than the one I took off but it'll do. And it's not a walbro either like what I took off. This thing would run when it "wanted to" and only with full choke applied with the walbro.
Unsure if I'm gonna dunk the walbro and try again with it or not.
And under the layers of dust/gunk on this engine, it looks like it might be a gray block, meaning it's been replaced somewhere along the way.
Gonna have to wait for the rain to get over, and get the power washer out to be sure.
Runs smoothly, idles way down, lower than just about any other Kohler single I've had in a long time, no knocks, no ticks.
And gotta figure out why the front of the deck won't raise. For now I'm gonna put the 48" deck from the gt19 onto it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts