Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I picked this up this weekend, and I only bought it cause I thought it was really cool.I'm kinda old skool for the fact that I like mechanical crap, engines, and obviously tractors, so I couldn't resist.

The guy I bought it from owned it with his brother. They got it at auction 4 years ago, and apparently the guy who built it passed, so hence the auction. Unfortunately that's all the info I have on it. I have figured out what some parts are, but not all of them.

Just a little synopsis,

The engine is a tiny flattie 4 popper, (head is about 12" long) http://flycorvair.net/2013/06/06/flathead-ford-71-cid-freedom-to-pursue-happiness/

that does not currently run, but I dont see any problems there other than some small stuff. I love the tiny 2 blade fan it's sporting!! :) The tractor has hydros with an AllisChalmers belt driven pump on the side of the engine. The oil tank is vertically mounted under the hood, and the gas tank is the one mounted on the rear. The gear box looks like the 3spd ford in the above link that runs to a chain to the rear axle. The rear axle looks close to a dana 44, but the hubs are 4 bolt, so I'm not sure what it is, and I'll have to look again, but I thought I counted 11 bolts? The steering gear, and hydraulic hand brake are unknown as well, but cool none the less. Left foot clutch peddle, and the right foot is the gas, hand choke, and the good ol 6 volt start/charge system. I am not sure if the tins came from something, or were fabricated, but they are heavy as all heck. The radiator cap (stamped Ford) is brass as is the neck, so im thinking the whole thing maybe brass? The wheels in the rear are 4.50 x 12, and have the Crosley moons on them, so im almost sure the wheels are Crosley too. (notice the right tire is bald!!) The fronts are definitely something I have not seen before. They appear to be a 2 piece aluminium wheel with a good sized hub. I have seen wheels like this before, but only in steel.

I dont plan on changing much on it, (cleaning some welds, filling in some holes for now, maybe more) but can't wait to get started on it once it warms up here, IF it ever warms up? LOL

Maybe swap the right rear for the left once she's runnin!!! ;) Ill post as soon as I get going on her, so check back, and by all means ask any questions you may have, enjoy the pics, more to come....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
55,657 Posts
That is a very neat looking little tractor. Wonder if the engine is a Crosley?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
That is a very neat looking little tractor. Wonder if the engine is a Crosley?
I agree, it's very mechanical, seems like it takes 4 or more parts for one operation. LOL

Nope! Click on the link above.

Weren't there Crosley tractors for awhile? Seems some were shown on here in past. That hood looks familiar from past posting. Maybe was ebay link?
Maybe someone here knows that one?

You are correct, it WAS on FEEbay!!!;)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The master cylinder looks to be 40 ford ----if it has 3 bolts to hold it on.
I haven't looked real close at it, but I do believe it has a 3 bolt flange?

The cap on the top is broken, so I will have to give it some attention sooner, or later.

Were Ford Anglias common in America? It seems an odd choice.
I do not believe so, it is in fact an odd choice, but it fits oh so well in that tractor.

I like it, looks beefy.
I know its heavy, I could really tell it was on my trailer when I towed it. I have an 06 GMC Yukon Denali

Maybe I should scale it sometime to see what it does weight out at?

Very cool machine for sure. If you clean up the PAT. #, you might be able to check out the rearend that way. Well built if not factory, someone really did a nice job re using parts from other pieces.
I agree, The time that the original builder had in it must have been huge.

I'll look into the rear when I get started on it whenever that is? If we move, space, and time will bottleneck my toy time. Heck, I still have 2 Panzers that need finished yet!!! :tapping_fingers:

Looks like a machine with real potential. A nice set of rear AG tires would look real nice.
I couldn't agree more! They dont make a 4.50 x 12 in anything but car/trailer tires, but I think a 5.00 x 12 might fit?

Of coarse Coker tire has them, and you can get them in white walls. Those would be cool if it was a RatRod tractor project, who knows maybe it will be?

I had an Anglia back in the day. But it was set up for a small block Chevy!
:thumbs: I bet it hauled the mail!!!! :thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
55,657 Posts
I ended up selling it before I stuffed an engine in it. Steering was just a bit freaky with the extra weight up there!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ended up selling it before I stuffed an engine in it. Steering was just a bit freaky with the extra weight up there!
I can imagine, a 750# engine in that small of a car!! LOL

Reactions: boyscout862

·
299 Posts
Definitely looks like a Dana 44, look at the cast webbing on the center section of the rearend, Dana casts the model number into the webbing. I wouldnt be suprised if it is from a mail delivery jeep with the hub that is on there. If its from a mail jeep that would be a bonus because I've never seen one that didnt have positraction!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Definitely looks like a Dana 44, look at the cast webbing on the center section of the rearend, Dana casts the model number into the webbing. I wouldnt be suprised if it is from a mail delivery jeep with the hub that is on there. If its from a mail jeep that would be a bonus because I've never seen one that didnt have positraction!
Maybe, but I'm not sure that it's posi. The right rear is pretty bald. The guy I got it from said when they had it running that he, and his brother were doing burn outs with it.

You know what, I'm darn curious now! I think I will run over, and check it out more closer. When I do, I'll jack it up, and spin one wheel to see what happens there.

I'll snap some more pics as we ALL like more pics!! ;)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Well, some mysteries have been solved. The master cylinder is a 4 bolt flange. Only the top bolts are used in this case. AJ-2155 comes back to a 50's Ford. I took a few pics.

The rear axle IS a 10 bolt Dana 44. You can see the number 44 cast in the lower right web. It is a open diff., we call em "one wheel wonders" round these parts. I took several pics of that too.

Of coarse I took more random pics, the one with my hand is to show the size of the engine, enjoy!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Thinking I might tinker a little on it next weekend, time permitting??

Wow, guess I'm going to have to save some coin!!! It needs a new battery, new battery cables, antifreeze/water, fan bushing, trans oil, engine oil, hydro oil, probably diff oil, engine dipstick, 2 belts, and only god knows what else. Hope I dont need ignition parts cause I dont know if I can even get British parts here?

Some of this stuff I wont need right away, but I'll have to wait till next Friday as it's payday, and the batt ain't gonna be cheap!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.