Garden Tractor Forums banner

Hood on my 12. Is this a previous owner mod?

2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  IHCubGuy 
#1 ·
On the side of my hood in the area of the battery tray the hood has a flat spot in it where as the rest of the hood is curled under. Is this something that someone else did to it or was it the way it rolled outta the factory? I have researched a little bit and have not found any other pics like it, but at the same time the job they did is done well enough that it looks like it should be that way since it's right at the tray. I am believing it's probably a mod but hoping it's not as I think it will be easier to deal with the body work required to get the hood in shape if its not.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Rim Automotive wheel system

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
It seems to me I've seen that before as well. It looks good if it was a mod. Is that needed to get the hood up over the battery tray? If so that would mean the tray had been changed as well.

#13 ·
JDBrian said:
It seems to me I've seen that before as well. It looks good if it was a mod. Is that needed to get the hood up over the battery tray? If so that would mean the tray had been changed as well.
I have it all apart at the moment so I am not sure that it was needed. I would have to put the dash and grill back on it and test fit it to see. I cleaned up the hood a little bit and along that area under the paint there are what look to be pound marks from a hammer along just that particular spot.

#16 ·
IHCubGuy said:
I have it all apart at the moment so I am not sure that it was needed. I would have to put the dash and grill back on it and test fit it to see. I cleaned up the hood a little bit and along that area under the paint there are what look to be pound marks from a hammer along just that particular spot.
Mines a '70 and apart as well, but the flattened area was done with vice grips or a tire tool. I'd planned to clamp a piece of 1/2" rod on the inside and use a body dolly to bend it back to match the rest.

#17 ·
Toolpartzman said:
Mines a '70 and apart as well, but the flattened area was done with vice grips or a tire tool. I'd planned to clamp a piece of 1/2" rod on the inside and use a body dolly to bend it back to match the rest.
I did the same thing only I don't have any proper body working hammers or dollys so I just used my trusty old ball pean to beat it back into submission.

#18 ·
I would have to put in for it being non-stock, but would love to see some close up shots. The inside and the transition from roll to flat. It's a million times better than the "beat it with a 4lb sledge" that was done on my neighbor's tractor! What a shame, because I happen to need a hood for the hydro project, and that tractor of his was made into a parts rig. (Because everything was beat with a 4lb sledge and an arc welder!)

#19 ·
FirefyterEmt said:
I would have to put in for it being non-stock, but would love to see some close up shots. The inside and the transition from roll to flat. It's a million times better than the "beat it with a 4lb sledge" that was done on my neighbor's tractor! What a shame, because I happen to need a hood for the hydro project, and that tractor of his was made into a parts rig. (Because everything was beat with a 4lb sledge and an arc welder!)
I allready went ahead and reformed the curl as best I could on it. The two photo's I posted are the only ones that I have of it like that. To be honest I never questioned it or gave it a second thought until I took off some of the paint on the hood to clean it up and repaint it. It looked that good of a job before and the transition from flat to curl was almost flawless like it was factory made. The question arised when I got the paint off of it and there was a line of marks in the metal where you could see it was beaten with a hammer. They(the marks) were only in the area where the flat spot was. These were camoflouged by the excessive amount of paint that was on the hood. I have to do some bondo work to hide the hammer spots that are still there but I think it will turn out fairly decent in the end.

#21 ·
How's your's coming along? I got my flint grey and silver painted, the wheels and tires are back on as well as the steering column and grill. Got all my red parts primered and ready for paint too. Hopefully will be painted by the end of the weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.