Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Does the three point go up and down with the lift for the snowblower?

If not, some guys have put a rod thru the arms and added 2-3 cement blocks. (check ground clearance)

others have made three point pieces and added suitcase weights.

Are the tires filled? if not, there is some weight to be had too.

·
I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork
802 Posts
How does one fill the tires and with what?
Thanks
I used antifreeze to fill mine. A 23x10.50x12 will hold about 6 gal. Some have used windshield washer fluid. I used antifreeze because it was free. I made my filler from an old gallon jug, about 3' of 1/4" cleàr plastic hose and a nylon Barb fitting (the hose and fitting was like $3 at Lowes). I drilled the cap and threaded the fitting in it. Cut the bottom Out of the jug and thread the cap back on. That's your funnel. Attach it to your bench or something like that. Take the valve core out of your tire and lay it on the floor. The tubing fits snugly over your valve stem. Takes a while due to you have to allow the air to burp out as the fluid goes in.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
How does one fill the tires and with what?
Thanks
Fastest and best way I have used is to remove the wheel and lay them on the floor with a 2X4 under one side. Break the bead loose from the rim in one place only. Stick a large screwdriver between the tire and rim and start pouring. I use RV Antifreeze. Pour it as full as you can get it, remove the screwdriver and put the air back in. Remember you will only have a very small cavity to fill with air so don't over do it. This method is much faster than going thought the valve steam and burping it all the time. Just my way to do it. Fast and simple.

·
Super Moderator
55,514 Posts
Fastest and best way I have used is to remove the wheel and lay them on the floor with a 2X4 under one side. Break the bead loose from the rim in one place only. Stick a large screwdriver between the tire and rim and start pouring. I use RV Antifreeze. Pour it as full as you can get it, remove the screwdriver and put the air back in. Remember you will only have a very small cavity to fill with air so don't over do it. This method is much faster than going thought the valve steam and burping it all the time. Just my way to do it. Fast and simple.
That works great if you don't have tubes to fill.

Reactions: MH81 and Marty'70

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
The water based fluids already mentioned are OK, but if you want to do it right, fill them with Rim Guard.

Reason being, Rim Guard is @ 11lb/gal while the water based fluids are @8lb/gal.

The extra 3lb/gal will make a difference.

It's a little more $$ per gal. but the extra weight is worth it.

You WILL have to change your valve stems to metal ones if you are using tubeless tires.

·
Super Moderator
14,170 Posts
With the blower hanging off the front of the tractor when raised you need to add some weight out back to counterbalance it. Loading your tires will also help but may not be enough. If you have a 3 point hitch that's a good place to add the weight. When I had a JDx475 with a 3 point hitch I had one of those draw bars with the holes in it mounted on the hitch. I then bolted some weight plates onto the draw bar and added enough weight to give me the traction I needed. Too much weight and you will make the front end light and have trouble getting traction for steering. There are lots of ways to add weight to a 3 point hitch. You could even put an implement on the hitch to add weight, but that does make the tractor harder to maneuver in tight spots.

·
Anything Red . . .
12,075 Posts
I'm being serious now. I see barbell weights quite often in resale stores. I've even seen them out with the trash. Just hang them on a bar across your 3 point. Another idea; using the spin on ends of the barbell make an attachment that bolts to the lug nuts. Now you've got weights on your wheels.

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
... Too much weight and you will make the front end light and have trouble getting traction for steering. ...
That's one of the downsides to using the 3-pt or other method to hang weight on the rear of the tractor. The other is added stress on the rear axle.

That doesn't happen when you use wheel weights or fill the tires.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I used the method in the video that James Bosma posted to fill my tires. I have tubes in them, so Chieffan's method would not work for me. I looked into Rimguard like Old Buzzard mentioned, but it is about a 5 hr round trip to the nearest dealer from here. I ended up using RV plumbing anti-freeze. It is not as heavy as rimguard, but it is non-toxic, so if it ends up spilled from a puncture, it won't be a problem. I weighed my tires before and after and ended up adding 40lbs to each one (23x9.5x12 if I remember right).

Jim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.