Garden Tractor Forums banner

How Many Have Heard Of The Linamar Engine?

28K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  daytime dave 
#1 ·
Just recenly bought a 1990 John Deere 318 Garden tractor with a LX790 Linamar 20hp engine on it. I guess it's originial to the 318, I don't know?
From what I have found out, it's basicly Onan engine, as Onan licenced Linamar to manufacture Onan engines using their tooling. The early engines still had the Onan name and then Linamar produced engines with their name on them. Since 1972.
I went to my local lawn mower repair shop, which has been around for 15-20 years and the owner, operator said, he never heard of them when I tried to buy a oil filter for it, and he sells Cub Cadet garden tractors. Go figure!

See less See more
#4 ·
Linamar (Canada) made the later P218G (LX770) and P220G (LX790). To the best of my knowledge, they are part for part compatible with the later spec Onan engines.

Also, as far as I know, Onan built Onans were standard in all the 318/420s but the dealerships did replacements with Linamars after manufacture moved to Canada.

Don't fault your local shop for not knowing about Linamars - unless he is an Onan guy, he would have no occasion to have learned that.

#5 ·
When the engine went in my 1983 318 I bought a replacement one from a truck garage because they use Onans in generators and other uses on large trucks he was a dealer , using the serial # he got me one as close as was made ( JD used a 1 7/16 shaft no longer made ) when I got it it was marked 20HP Linamar on it , Al

#6 ·
i worked at the Onan engine plant in Huntsville Alabama in 1998 when it closed and turned all over to Linamar. They offered me a Job in Canada but I being brought up an Alabama country boy I could not see myself in the great white north. So it is true that Lanimar make replacement Onan engines for a few years. Onan engines could not meet EPA emisson ratings for 2001. In my opinion the Onan engines were a fine engine in its days. I have a P220G in a John Deere with over 1500 hours and still going strong.

#10 ·
It's an interesting story and one that I had not heard before. Sounds like these engines may be a good re power option for 318's and other opposed twins.

#12 ·
I have a 420 with a blown onan, that is beyond repair. Block is cracked... Its hard to find a good running onan for less than $500. So I am trying to find a replacement, anyone ever replace the onan or linamar with something else?

Sorry to steal the thread

Thanks,
Charles

#13 ·
I had not heard of Linamar. After reading this thread I am more educated. Thank you. I will have to keep it in mind for my 318.

Reactions: jpswift1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.