Garden Tractor Forums banner

How much heat can my paint tolerate?

929 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  jcp7hp 
#1 ·
I’ve been having some overheating issues with my 782 in the summer heat. I built a muffler shroud out of roof flashing, and it was a huge improvement.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

Not pretty but it does the job.

After a lot of mowing in the sun, the hood is slightly hot (very warm), the side panels (front part near exhaust) gets too hot to keep your hand on it for more than 5 seconds. The frame for the front grille or the front end part gets too hot for 3 seconds. It’s not to burn level, but discomfort level. How hot can this paint get while being un-effected? Thanks. I’ll get a temp gun and get a proper reading eventually.

See less See more
#9 ·
#10 ·
Well I just called rustoleum customer service. Apparently my paint can tolerate 200 degrees Fahrenheit before any bubbling or damage can occur. And they also told me the paint will not discolor or fade with that heat unless it is at or above 200 degrees. I don’t think even the hottest part gets that hot. So I think that’s something to consider.

#11 ·
I painted the inside of my hood with rustoleum mixed with Thermacell ceramic microsphere insulation beads. It seems to work well and not subject to damage. It does leave a bit of a sandpaper feel in the paint, but it's the inside of the hood. Obviously, I used brush on paint, not spray paint to mix the beads in. I finished with a spray on color coat.

#13 ·
Bought a temp gun. Going to check temps. Also adjusted the position of the heat shield I made so it deflects heat better

#14 ·
UPDATE: Just worked the tractor in the summer heat (88 degrees). And when the tractor was hot as I could get it, I took temperatures with a temp gun. Paint can safely and reliably go up to 200 degrees, and the hottest part of the paint got to 140 F. You can see the exhaust pipe is at 237 F. That shield works GREAT 👍
Hand Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Parking meter Bicycle accessory

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

Automotive lighting Communication Device Finger Measuring instrument Parking meter

Automotive lighting Parking meter Motor vehicle Communication Device Mobile phone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.