Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the oil and filter of my MF14 and I believe the pump needs to be re-primed as the hydrolics and transmission will no longer operate...

Any hints you veterans may give to a rookie such as myself?

Thanks ahead of time!!!

JPL

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Did you fill the filter as full of oil as possible before installing? That helps a bunch.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I filled it almost to the top, I will undo it tomorrow and really top it off... Thanks for the great tip!

In case this does not do it. would putting the tractor in gear and (with the engine off) pushing it over a 10 -15 feet be a good idea to try to get the oil to flow from the differential to the pump?

·
Tractorholic
428 Posts
No, to prime the pump, start the tractor with the tranny full of fluid, and cycle it between forward and reverse. Watch the fluid level when doing this, and fill as needed. You will know it is done when the tractor operates normally, and requires no more fluid.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Also,your new filter could be at fault.I have had a bad new filter more than once.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks to all of you, the problem is solved. I did add more oil to the transmission and jacked the back of the tractor overnigth to make sure the gravity would fill the pump and any possible gap left in the filter. This morning reving the motor the pressure finally rebuilt it self and every thing got back to normal operating state.

Your response is overwhelming, I love this forum!!!

JPL

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
JPL said:
Many thanks to all of you, the problem is solved.
Your response is overwhelming, I love this forum!!!

JPL
That's what we want to hear! Spread the good word! :beerchug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts