Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
I'd get myself a C clamp valve spring compressor. It uses a split key style. Once you compress the spring enough, the two key keepers will fall out and you will be good to go.

Ben W.

·
Tractorholic
1,726 Posts
yes

with your valve spring clamp you have to got on top of part #2 (retainer) and under part #6 (rotator)

if the valve goes up you need to tap the valve down so that the keepers can be remove

make sure that the valve is down or seated (closed) before you try to remove the keepers

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
yes

with your valve spring clamp you have to got on top of part #2 (retainer) and under part #6 (rotator)

if the valve goes up you need to tap the valve down so that the keepers can be remove

make sure that the valve is down or seated (closed) before you try to remove the keepers
Thanks! Now I understand! That's kind of how I was thinking it went together.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes

You mean item #3? Item #2 is one of the valves.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I compressed the spring as far as it will go, but I still can't get the valve to move so that the keepers will fall out. Any advice? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,800 Posts
I compressed the spring as far as it will go, but I still can't get the valve to move so that the keepers will fall out. Any advice? Thanks.
Not sure what you mean by "get the valve to move". Make sure the valve was closed and not on the cam lobe. If the rotator is above the keepers, just reach in with a pick or small screwdriver and push them a little and they should fall out. A small magnet should do it too. They are probably being held by oil or crud.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts